Sue1411

Help - my hen's turned evil!

We have had our two girls for just over 2 years and they've been absolutely good as gold. The smaller of the two (Polly) has always been the top hen but was always very docile towards us and very easy to handle. At the beginning of the year she started taking a dislike to my husband's new shoes and would try to peck at them when he shut them away in the eglu run at night. We thought that was quite funny at first, as she would still attack the shoes even if he wasn't wearing them at the time. Things slowly progressed and she started flying at my husband's legs and pecking at him every evening (whatever the shoes) if she didn't want to go into the run. She still remained docile towards me at first but then last week has started to attack me too. The worst occasion was yesterday when she flew at me from behind whilst I was putting the washing on the clothes line, grabbed hold of a flapping sheet with her beak and flew into a tugging rage with it. I have never seen anything like it.

How do you discipline a chicken?! :-) and more importantly what do you think has triggered her to go insane? The other hen just looks on completely bemused and thankfully has not changed her behavior.

Whilst I suppose this is still quite amusing on the face of it, we have friends who visit regularly with small children and quite frankly I would not trust Polly not to injure them at the moment.

Help!