missuscluck Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 I keep making meringues with left over egg whites from Ice cream making. I wonderd if you can freeze them? Does anyone know if they freeze ok? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
..lay a little egg for me Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 I wouldn't bother. As they are so high in sugar, and dry too, they keep for ages. I would also have thought they would be very vulnerable to being crushed in the freezer (I know I would end up crushing them anyway ). My Mum always said to put them in a plastic bag, suck the air out and tie tightly. Taking the air out helped to keep them apparently... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
..lay a little egg for me Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 Of course, you could always freeze them in the form of lemon meringue ice cream! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 I have heard that egg whites freeze well and turn into good meringues when defrosted. I have not tried it myself though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
..lay a little egg for me Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 I have heard that egg whites freeze well and turn into good meringues when defrosted. I have not tried it myself though. Yes, that's what I do. Whenever I make mayonnaise or something that needs only yolks, I freeze the whites (I just add them to a pot I keep in the freezer and write a note of how many whites are in there on the top). When I have enough whites, I make meringues. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted June 22, 2009 Share Posted June 22, 2009 Me too, I just put the whites in the freezer until I need them (usually for pavlova ). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...