Ygerna Posted July 2, 2009 Share Posted July 2, 2009 This morning, when I went out to do the girls Amy made a very definite crouch for me, as she has been most unsociable whilst tending to the chicks I am taking this as a sign that she is ready to leave them. At the moment they are in a nursery coop and run, which is inside the WIR with the others. How would you recomend re introducing her to the flock? They have had some free range time together but that was whiilst she was still very broody and protective. Also, I am wondering when I can remove the nursery run, leaving the nursery coop in place for a few weeks? All advice and thoughts welcomed please TIA Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
laurmurf Posted July 2, 2009 Share Posted July 2, 2009 i have read that the mum shows she's ready to leave the chicks anytime around 4/6 weeks: sometimes she starts getting grumpy with them and that's a sure sign. Are you keen to reintegrate her sooner rather than later? If you removed the nursery run would you have the chicks running with the big girls? Posts say that the young 'uns shouldn't be introduced into the flock until they're POL. I think that's because while mum will protect them while she's broody, she'll give that up when she's not and they'll be left fending for themselves against the flock. That's what I've read about all this though - no experience.... yet! i'll be keen to read the replies. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 2, 2009 Share Posted July 2, 2009 I wouldn't put the chicks anywhere the others till they are at POL. The big girls will attack the little ones and may kill them and Mum will soon lose interest and won't protect them. I would follow the general advice **here** re introducing Mum back to the flock, and then the chicks at a later date. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
teri Posted July 2, 2009 Share Posted July 2, 2009 glad you asked that question i've been so busy watching my chicks and broody be all cute and fluffy that i hadn't even concidered seperation?! i have started handling the chicks more and beauty is quite happy about this and she will sneak off to bathe when the chicks are free- range in the garden! they are only three weeks old so i'm not in any hurry for advice but i will continue to follow this post with interest. cheers Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Phosphorus Posted July 9, 2009 Share Posted July 9, 2009 Have just done this I was going to start with letting my broody free range with the others as she had been in an eglu and run within their free range area, however one of her old pals went for her through the omlet netting quite badly and drew blood on her wattles (luckily I let them free range together but separated by netting). I was then a bit more cautious. For about a week I let my broody free range on otherside of the netting to the big girls (without chicks) and sat with a water pistol - sprayed any girl that started to get aggressive towards her - just like a new introduction. After a few days there was only pecking order pecking - not really aggressive, so I risked it and put her back with the girls free ranging all together. It was fine, subject to a few pecks. She desperately wanted to go back to the cube so I let her and she was back with them all from that night. No problems. Chicks were 6 weeks old with loads of feathers by then and weather was hot They were a bit shocked the first night but put themselves to bed. After that fine. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...