Tink

Calcium supplements

Do chickens automatically need calcium supplements or only if they are laying soft eggs?? I keep reading contradicting opinions... Its all very confusing to a newbie :lol:

If most of you do give them calcium all the time what is the cheapest way of doing it - all the mixtures I have seen seem really expensive (and I have spent a fortune on a superglug and contents for a "first aid" box so cant spend much more this month!!). They do have mixed grit in their pen which includes oyster shell (but Im not sure in what percentage).

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!!

Layers pellets should contain all that they need initially. So long as they don't eat too much in the way of treats they should absorb all they need.

If they do start laying soft eggs, you can add Limestone Flour, available from equestrian suppliers, or from ebay as sold for reptiles. They will also need a Vit D supplement to help with the absorption - a dollop of cod liver oil added to the pellets will sort that out.

It is easier to just add Zolcal D to their drinking water.

I was told on another forum(practical poultry) that to be carefull how much extra calcium I gave mine when big red was laying more softies than keepers just after she started laying in may when we had those cold gray spells of weather as to much calcium can cause kidney problems turned out she needed alot of vit D from sunlight but I still give cod liver oil and dried meal worms every week just as a top up meal worms contain an ammino acid that helps the body abzorb calcium apparantly

Thank you egluntine and sjp.

I was just a little confused as I had assumed that you only needed to give extra calcium if you had soft eggs...then today I saw a site that said even healthy layers needed extra calcium supplements.

I will just leave them with the pellets for now as suggested..

Ive found there is a lot of conflicting info around and as someone new to all this you start to panic whether or not you are giving them the best care and its hard to know which advice to follow... Im sure I will settle into it soon....hopefully.... :lol:

Im sure for a while there will always be something to be 'unsure' about until I get more experience.....My new panic for today is the woodchip in my run....it has turned into somewhat of a muddy swamp with the current "monsoon" we are having here in Leeds :roll:

At least I have stopped peeking in the nesting box every 3 minutes waiting for my first egg...Im trying the 'patience is a virtue' approach...

Thanks again!! :D

I feed pellets or mash plus chickens free range. The only time that I have had a problem with softees was on days when I gave them too many treats which meant that they were taking less chicken feed. Now I restrict the volume of goodies that they have we have been softee free for months. I intially put grit in with food but it generally ended up left at the bottom of the feeders so now I don't bother. I think they pick up enough around the garden & in feed.