Daphne Posted August 8, 2009 Share Posted August 8, 2009 OH bought some celeriac plantlets in April/May and since then they've grown away in a fertile bed with lots of water and some planting around to try to conserve the moisture (not sure why we bothered with that!) but now they've gone to seed. I thought they were meant to be ready in autumn/winter. Are they ruined do you think? Should I pull one up to see? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sjp Posted August 8, 2009 Share Posted August 8, 2009 I've grown celeriac for ten years but always from seed don't have go to seed till spring the only thing i can think is that the plants got stressed in the pots drying out would do it probly before you got them if they're small then i doubt they are any good tops might be good chuck food Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted August 8, 2009 Author Share Posted August 8, 2009 oh well I'll pull one up and see whats what. Thanks for replying. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted August 9, 2009 Share Posted August 9, 2009 I've never had any success with celeriac Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted August 11, 2009 Share Posted August 11, 2009 Me neither. I have tried it most years out of the last 10 and have never got anything bigger than a tennis ball which by the time you have trimmed the roots and soil off is about the size of a golf ball Mine got taken over by weeds this year after a good start, they have been rescued and they haven't gone to seed so I have my fingers crossed but I am not holding my breath Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sjp Posted August 11, 2009 Share Posted August 11, 2009 do you remove the outer leaves it helps Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted August 12, 2009 Share Posted August 12, 2009 Yes, I have done this again now but they are not showing any sign of bulking up. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...