lyd119 Posted August 9, 2009 Share Posted August 9, 2009 Hi there, our speckeldy hybrid has just started laying and she has only laid 3-4 eggs, however at least 2 of these have been double yolkers. I was told by someone (can't remember who) that too many double yolkers (caused by giving your chooks layers pellets to early) can lead to prolapses. we really don't want our girl going through any pain, any help appreciated. Lydia Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sjp Posted August 9, 2009 Share Posted August 9, 2009 my 2 big girls are about the same age been on the same feed layers pellets since I got them they were 17 weeks old. big red lays doubles far to often cyclone I think layed one last wednesday not eat it yet from what I've read/being told it's as much to do with breeding as anything Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chick wiggle Posted August 9, 2009 Share Posted August 9, 2009 I've never heard about double yolkers leading to prolapse. I really hope not because I am getting regular doubles and even had two triples! Will be keeping a close eye on this thread, hopefully someone wiser will be along soon to put our minds at rest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted August 10, 2009 Share Posted August 10, 2009 Lucky you....enjoy them whilst they last. They often produce double yolkers when they first come into lay. It will tail off as they get established, and is nothing to worry about. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chick wiggle Posted August 10, 2009 Share Posted August 10, 2009 Ahh, thank you, will go back to enjoying them again and stop worrying Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...