Chuckov

R.I.Bee :-(

Went up to do the weekly check last night and unfortunately our hive is full of wasps and there is not a bee in sight but a bunch of dead ones on the hive floor :( Looks like they have either absconded or are all dead. It was awful to see a zillion wasps scrambling all over the frames where only last week there were bees - that's how quickly it's happened.

We have been queenless since the beginning of June, and when the girls didn't manage to rear another queen we combined our dwindling colony with another colony who were meant to be queenright but, on the day of combining, were unfortunately also queenless but with a couple of promising queen cells.

Unfortunately I guess the dwindling numbers and queenlessness made them easy targets - and despite our best efforts the wasps won. They've robbed every single last drop of stores and our hive is now light as a feather....

A bit of a disappointing end to our first season's beekeeping but we are being supported by Warwick and Leamington BKA and as such we're hoping to pick up a stronger nuc instead of a slightly dodgy swarm and then we should be able to start again after the winter at full strength.

Went up to do the weekly check last night and unfortunately our hive is full of wasps and there is not a bee in sight but a bunch of dead ones on the hive floor :( Looks like they have either absconded or are all dead. It was awful to see a zillion wasps scrambling all over the frames where only last week there were bees - that's how quickly it's happened.

We have been queenless since the beginning of June, and when the girls didn't manage to rear another queen we combined our dwindling colony with another colony who were meant to be queenright but, on the day of combining, were unfortunately also queenless but with a couple of promising queen cells.

Unfortunately I guess the dwindling numbers and queenlessness made them easy targets - and despite our best efforts the wasps won. They've robbed every single last drop of stores and our hive is now light as a feather....

A bit of a disappointing end to our first season's beekeeping but we are being supported by Warwick and Leamington BKA and as such we're hoping to pick up a stronger nuc instead of a slightly dodgy swarm and then we should be able to start again after the winter at full strength.

Sorry to hear that :( - perhaps it's something to do with Warwickshire :shock::wink: That's exactly the situation we found ourselves in.....plus a lot of waxmoth :roll:

Glad you're getting help from Warwick and Leamington BKA - we moved from that group to Stratford BKA as we didn't get much help from W&L :(

I've had no email access since Friday and we didn't go to the apiary meeting on Sunday - emails sorted today and found an email saying that the SBKA had some nucs for sale - at yesterdays meeting :(

oh no.. is it too late Lesley, could you ring someone? If they had them yesterday and didn't sell them all, you could still get one?

Sorry to hear about the wasps Chuckov, it's been worrying me since Lesley's post, as there were a lot hanging around the hive, but I did an inspection yesterday and mine were all fine. Hope you can get off to a good start next year.