LaPoule

Bees so far (don't get excited, haven't got any yet!)

I take up the challenge! GO BEES!

It's a shame more people aren't starting threads on here, of the chatty-cheery-variety even!

Well, I have been to about four apiary meetings this year, and will be signing up to my local groups as soon as I get my membership form. The last apiary meeting is this Saturday, which will cover preparing the hive for winter, but unfortunately I will miss this as the Festival of Quilts is on this weekend ( :dance: I'm so excited - I've been saving my pocketmoney for months! :dance:). However, since I don't plan on getting bees until 2011, I have plenty of time to catch up.

I have mentioned getting bees to a couple of the neighbours, who so far are very enthusiastic...I thought that if I start early enough, then those who have their doubts will have plenty of time to come round to the idea. (Or plenty of time to think up reasons why they don't like the idea :shock: hmmmm :think:)

The spot I hope to put them in is quite far from where most people spend their time, though there are no boundary fences/ hedges to one side (south-west facing). I was think about growing a hedge to get the bees to come in to landing over head height, or possibly even a 'mini-room' from something like firethorn, to deter the curious. However, this would also block some light (garden only 5m wide - 80m long though).

I've yet to have any beekeepers out the evaluate the spot, but wondered what you all thought? Helpful comments only, please.

wow, an 80m garden *sighs* lovely :D

I think it's wasted on me :lol: ! I'm not much of a gardener, but I am learning (slowly). Our neighbour, who has the same size, has even lent out the end of their garden to a friend to use as an allotment!

I'm hoping to grow a wildflower meadow - seems the least work! And the bees'll love it :D

Why of why are there no bee smilies :(

Apparently netting will do the trick (in making them fly above the barrier, rather than at ground level) so it doesn't have to block the light. I've just received my folder of stuff from the BBKA and the booklet in there refers to 'sparrow' netting, so it doesn't actually have to be bee-proof to stop them.

You do realise that if you have a successful wildflower meadow patch, I will be forced to come round and stab you to death with chopsticks, don't you? It's practically the law, and not because I'm jealous. At all.

No space, not enough sun, and heavy clay soil all conspire against me. I've even tried borrowing my dad's sickle to sort it out at the right tome of year: still have all limbs attached (surprisingly) but.... no wildflowers came back.

Sounds a good location, really, as you should be able to get your hives out of range of neighbours if you have nice calm bees. And nettign should be enough to get them to fly up, and won't block off your sunlight either.