jam

Earwigs!!!

Hi

I dont know if its just me (I hope not, or im obviously doing something wrong!!) but in the summer there are always loads of earwigs living in between the wooden frame of the door and the inside of my guinea pig hutches. I dont think they harm the guineas but its horrible opening the door and loads of earwigs spilling out onto the floor. I keep my Hutches outside all year and i cant think of anything else to do to try and get rid of the earwigs. Does red mite spray get rid of them or does anyone else know anything else that works?

Jam

(white guinea) Mickey

(white guinea) Harry

(guinea) Sherbet

(brown guinea) biscuits

(brown guinea) Cookie

(white guinea) pickles

(white guinea) Ginge

Mmm, what about sprinkling some Diatom there?

Or if it was me I would probably give it a spray with Raid crawling insect killer (red can).

Any insects that walk across the treated area die and it remains effective for 4-6 weeks I think :D

I would remove the guineas from the cage when you spray and perhaps give it an hour or so before putting them back in so that it is not quite so fumey :wink:

We've had guinea pigs for many years & earwigs in wooden hutches (along with other creepy crawlies) were routine. However, in the spring of this year we bought a Pet Eglu & I don't exaggerate when I say it has transformed petcare all together - no horrible earwigs, to say the leat! Take my advice & buy a pet Eglu ... :D

Kate

(brown guinea)(brown guinea)(white guinea)(green eglu)

(white chicken)PPGNR(pink eglu)

yes i've had the same problem this year although never before, i thought it was because we moved house in may and there was some sort of existing infestation in the garden (the chickens seem to be on top of it though, running round with them hanging out of their mouths). I took the hutch to bits and cleaned everything then put it back together in a different part of the garden...I'm getting lots of earwigs in the house as well though and only last night found about 6 dead ones in an upstairs bedroom!?!?!?!?!?

I hate them as well they are my creepy thing..don't mind spiders but these things with pincers...urgh, like little mini scorpions. the piggies didn't seem to be bothered by them and i couldn't find any bites or scratches on them either.

Sorry to say that earwigs do live in eglu's too! I was was unimpressed to find loads of them living in the join between the base and door, when I changed my chicken eglu to a piglu for my guinea pigs - my hens were delighted and gobbled them up! I gave it a big hose down before fitting the new base, but expect they will be back :( .