katieD

introduction update

hi all

had my new ones 2 weeks so for the last couple of days been freeranging them together with the older 3. the old ones come down near the house (looking for treats! :wink: ) and the new ones seem to stay down the bottom behind a huge conifer out of sight!

they do gradually appear round the tree and 2 of the old girls seem not to mind, its dora the little madam that chases them off as soon as they are within 3/4m away- no fighting just evil :evil: chasing- luckily the new ones run fast and she leaves them when she realises they are scared!

ive also been switching them between the housing hoping it will get them used to smells etc. ( (green eglu) in WIR at the mo with (cube purple) )

any advice on what to do next would be greatly appreciated! my gardens quite big and long (100+ foot) so should i start making the area smaller when free ranging?

and when do i need to try them together in the WIR?

thanks all x

I've got just what you've described going on here too :lol: . Maisie's the only one bothered about them but as long as they've got somewhere to run to, they seem OK.

I left them alone together in the WIR this evening (the phone rang :roll: ). The big girls seemed reluctant to go to bed (probably thought it was unfair to have to go to bed before the babies :lol: ) but when I eventually got off the phone, the babies were in their bed and the big girls in theirs 8):clap: .

I'm going to leave them separated in the WIR for at least another week.

I'm introducing 2:1. I've heard that is easier - certainly seems to be the case. We got our new ones on Sunday - they love being cuddled. We haven't got any separate sleeping quarters, so they've been put together at night from day one - minor pecking.

Yesterday evening they did some very supervised free franging - only minimal pecking. Today, I'm sitting watching them all free franging together. :clap: They'll be separated again in a bit, so I can relax :lol:

All seems to be going too well. :anxious: Although I've never seem Liverty's bossy side before :angel:

Good luck with your intros

We've been introducing two newbies to three oldies - honestly, I never realised chicken relations could be so complex :lol: They've been sleeping together from day one but have been separated when they're in the run. They all free-range but the newbies stick to each other and if the others even look at them they run off in fright. I'm hoping it just settles down really - Minnie and Dixie (two oldies) do chase them if they get the opportunity and they can be quite vicious in the morning before we've separated them into two separate runs - it's only been a week though so fingers crossed it will improve!

Good luck to everyone else for the intros!

Freya

xx

BREAKING NEWS!!!

got home yesterday and somehow the newbies had got out of their temp accomodation and they were all in the WIR happily!! :clap:

not together but happily ignoring each other- left them and they split themselved between the (green eglu) and (cube purple) a mix of old and new in each :D

today freeranged fine together and tonight all gone together in the (cube purple)

hopefully a massive breakthough!! :clap::dance::clap::dance:

i think keepting the (green eglu) and run within the WIR is helping as they can get away easily enough and feel seperated if they wish.

fingercrossed all is getting good!

xxx