iar fach goch

Hedgehog hospital

For the last week or so we have had a small hedgehog visit our garden, and unfortunately had a dead adult on the road outside our house. Having been keeping an eye on the hedgehog, he had obviously deteriorated by last night when OH decided upon a closer inspection. He was laying on his side and covered in flies eggs - in his eyes,ears, everywhere :vom: . OH brought him inside and with a cocktail stick removed as many of the eggs as possible. He spent hours with him last night, I must admit I gave up and went to bed but OH stayed up until gone one.

Drewnog (as he is now known) spent last night indoors in the warm utility but showed no interest in the food or drink. We didn't hold out much hope for him, but he was still with us this morning. OH contacted a lovely lady who runs a hedgehog hospital for advice and has since spent the day brushing Drewnog with a toothbrush, syringing him with goat's milk and finding worms for him to munch on, as well as giving him my hot water bottle! He is much more active this evening so hopefully he will make it, although he still has a long way to go as he is too small to hibernate.

For once I am on here to say :clap::clap::clap: to my OH for being so caring, just hope all his effort makes a difference. :pray::pray::pray: (and that he goes to take a shower because hedgehogs don't smell so good! :wink: ).

aww poor hedgehog! Well done to your OH for his tender loving care :clap: We had a baby hedgehog outside our back door many years ago. It had the BIGGEST tick on it - makes me shiver thinking about it - we put it in a cardboard box with a towel and phoned our local vet who gave us the number of the wildlife rescue who took it away. I didn't phone up for an update but I hope it was okay. I love hedgehogs and they make such funny piggy noises when they run down the hill :D

Well done, they are lovely but they are prone to being pretty smelly :vom: We had a poorly pig a couple of years ago and she automatically hibernated when she gained weight. She woke up in the early spring and she went on to be released in our garden. She was seen last month eating a frog nextdoor! We found that her favourite food was mealworms.