veggiemad Posted October 26, 2009 Share Posted October 26, 2009 Hi. for the last few mornings I have noticed what look to be fruit flies (or similar size anyway) around the poo in the droppings tray. I have a new cube (only a week old-didnt have problem with eglu) and since having it have noticed these fly things in the tray , 2 of the other hens sleep and poo in the nest box but no flies in there. Should i be worried. I clean the tray and nest box everyday and the whole thing weekly. The hens seem fine in themselves, one is moulting badly (i think-still bald and getting worse) but all are eating and drinking well. Just want to check the flies are only interested in the poo and the moulting hen hasnt got parasites/lice/ fleas etc, they have wings so dont think its red mite. I've only had my 3 ex batts for about 7 weeks , so should they be moulting?? sorry for waffle! thanks for reading PS- am struglling to catch the balding hen to have a closer look P.PS - she has stopped laying too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted October 26, 2009 Share Posted October 26, 2009 I've experienced those pesky little beasties too, though I'm not sure what they actually are. I find that if I leave the door of the house open for a little while, they all disappear. But don't worry, they do come back lol! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted October 26, 2009 Share Posted October 26, 2009 I usually get a problems with flies in the summer, it's quite mild at the moment so probably why you have them. A good idea is to get a piece of kitchen roll and dot some drops of citronella oil and pop into the droppings tray - this makes it smell nice and helps prevent flies also. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gelbel Posted October 26, 2009 Share Posted October 26, 2009 I've got an old kitchen cleaner spray that I cleaned thoroughly, filled with water and added some drops of citronella and tee tree oils. I give it a good old spray when I clean - not religious about when I spray - just when I remember (couple - three times a week perhaps). I do give the covered floor run a good old spray each week when I do the weekly clean. Seems to do the trick and makes it all smell nice. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...