eggstatic Posted December 20, 2009 Share Posted December 20, 2009 I am surprised to find that in this bitterly cold weather and snow my chickens are not eating as much as usual. I would have thought they would have eaten more to keep warm etc. Does their metabalism slow down in very cold weather? Any one else noticed this please? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
madchickenlady Posted December 20, 2009 Share Posted December 20, 2009 Have to say that mine are the same. I suspect it's just because they are off lay during the cold (mine are very much fair weather layers! ) and don't need as much food. I am giving them corn before bed, though, to give them an energy boost. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
coco Posted December 20, 2009 Share Posted December 20, 2009 Mine don't seem to be eating as much although the have had pasta and peas the last two days -specially cooked for them but to everyones disgust ie the chickens get better fed than we do. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted December 21, 2009 Share Posted December 21, 2009 If they're still laying, their appetite shouldn't be affected. I have noticed though that once they have a break from laying, their appetite decreases dramatically. Their diet is even more important in winter as they have less daylight hours to scoff. Making sure they fill up on pellets is critical, so treats should only be fed in small quantities in the late afternoon. Nope, it wasn't me who fed some dried mealworms to my Marans bantie because I felt sorry for her hating the snow this morning. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TAJ Posted December 21, 2009 Share Posted December 21, 2009 They eat and drink in daylight hours - today is the shortest day of the year, mine are only getting up around 7 am and are up in bed by 4ish = 9hrs eating/drinking. In the summer they will be up at 5am and still out at 10 pm = 17hrs eating/drinking. Plus I find egg production is lower (particularly the pure breeds) so they are using less energy that way as well. Tracy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sarahsausage Posted December 22, 2009 Share Posted December 22, 2009 I'm glad I read this, mine aren't eating much either, was getting worried but it seems to be a normal occurrence! They still scoff down some porridge and mushy peas though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...