molly&polly

Shut the rabbits in overnight?/Rabbits use Eglu as toilet

New Eglu owner. Pair of beautiful three month old black female rabbits, siblings. Very happy in Eglu and run. Elgu cleaned out regularly ie daily or alternate days, but the rabbits use the Eglu as their toilet and refuse to use litter tray filled with soiled bedding and placed in the run...

Now that temperatures are sub zero, am locking them in overnight, but worried that they find it distressing to sleep in what they regard as their own lavatory...

What to do...? :?

I have that problem too, despite the fact that my girls are litter trained. I even got a roofed cat litter tray to put in the (covered) run for them :roll: .

They always seem to prefer to stay outside most of the night anyway and are definitely very active then too, so I never shut them in. Bunnies aren't like GPs, they don't burrow and sleep in the same way. They grow extra thick coats and keep very warm though. With all the rain we've had, the bunnies are back in their flashy duplex wooden hutch up by the house where it is more sheltered. The lawn was far too squishy for them.

I also found that my girls wouldn't touxh their food or hay when it was in the Rablu. Luckily I have covered the run, so their food bowls and hay rack are out there now.

I don,t shut mine in at night, they use the rablu as a toilet as well, but they do eat in there, they also use a lit tray outside the rablu door, I've never used the hay rack and the water bottle has been outside from day one as I found it too low. Funny how they all have different ways :roll:I also bought mine a little plastic dog bed :lol: they love it to bits and are always snuggled up in it, hubby thinks I'm mad :lol:

I might try the dog bed thing Mandy. My girls always perch on top of the roof of the litter tray :roll:

I bought an extra inner tray for the rablu from Omlet and use a pressure washer to get it clean when it's really stained - comes up a treat. If you find that it gets smelly then try using Stalosan in the bottom before you put the litter in. You can get it from Terry Beebe at Regency Poultry.

Thats what made me get the dog bed Clare, mine kept sitting in the lit tray, I only have a cheap cat lit tray, I hope they use it all the time for the toilet, make life easier, but you know what buns are like :) I line the dog bed with newspaper and hay, they never use it as a toilet. How much are the spare trays from omlet?

I never shut my buns in either, but they don't use the rablu as a loo, they use a corner of the run! They also have a litter tray but its full of hay and they just sit in it and eat.. They certainly don't seem cold, even in the colder weather last week and they really appreciate days like today when its sunny and they can stretch out in the run. They are on what's destined to be a flower bed when the new lawn is settled - but have a nice thick layer of hardwood chips which they love chucking about, and 2 ikea shower curtains covering the run so its really dry inside. The shower curtains are cheap but I had to strap them down with about 6 bungee cord things or the wind gets under them and the whole thing looks like it's about to take off!