eve

egg laying

help ive two marans and two white sussex batam.had them aug POL maran started laying dec. iwas getting two eggs every other day then one a day. one of sussex laid two weeks ago but nothing since.cant understand why they arent laying. ive checked to make sure they arent eating them and no sign of that.is itthe cold weather??? this is the first time ive had batams.

I agree with Tasha,

Just give them the once over for any lice or beasties. The cold weather and dull days over Winter does affect their laying. Once the longer sunnier days arrive you should see a difference. :)

If they haven't been wormed a course of flubenvet would not do any harm either. :wink:

thanx for advice were do i get the wormer from?? they look really heathy especially dora and flo the sussex. its the marans that look rough but they laying!! mine hate califlower!! when do they moult?? my freind got one batam that she wants to get rid of as moving house not to sure weather to have her any advice bout this please?? feel i should as knowere else to go but will it be to much for my girls?? and me?? she been on her own a long time she iS 7 helppppp.

ive wormed them with verm x as thats what my grandad uses. dont think they have worms though. thought you would see it in there poo??? but will try anything to get sussex laying. how long will it take if it worms for them to start laying?? marans still every other day. im loving letting them play in the garden as a treat. so funny to watch

I always used vermex until recently, i noticed a lot on these boards dont hold it in high regard so i have now re-wormed with flubenvet. and as i said before lots of girls dont like to lay in these short dark cold days, i had 5 eggs today from 12 hens and only 3 yesterday!

Also vermex is used monthly and flubenvet every 3-4 months and works out a lot cheaper as i noticed the vermex never lasted as long as it stated on the bottle!

bluebelle my cream legbar started laying again last week after not laying since the end of october!

no eggs today im getting fed up with not having any eggs. they in good health is it the weather still?? dont know how im going to get 200 eggs from them in first year at this rate will take 10 years!!!!! ive gave them the once over today no lice or mites.wormed them even thoug they havent any.done everything even let them out into garden for a treat. thought ivd be having four a day by now. HELP im getting faustrated

Hi, It's sounds like you're doing everything you can. The weather does make a difference to egg laying, it should pick up soon. I have thirty hens, and in the snowy weather I was only getting about 3/4 eggs a day from the whole flock. My banty's don't lay at all in the winter. One thing you could try is mixing up some warm readybrek or porridge for them in the morning, and sprinkle some layers pellets or a little of their feed on top. This will warm them up. My girls really like this as a treat on cold mornings.

If they're moulting this does slow egg laying, as their bodies can't cope with both at the same time. They usually moult in the autumn, but might moult again in the winter.

:D

hi ive had a egg from the sussex today not as big as maran egg but im so happy.also one egg from dora maran.hope this is good news, it had abit of blood on it is this normal??

hoping for the same tommorrow. two out of four im getting there!!!