KateB

Drying pasta

I make fresh pasta all the time with the girls eggs and it is delicious the trick when drying is to use the 00 grade flour and sprinkle lots on this stops it sticking together in a lump...........You can also put oil in the water when cooking......... :D

Do you coil it as you sprinkle or freeze it flat, Nicola ? I've never made much of a success of storing it (at least when we've ever had any left :) )

BTW - I've seen oil in the water quoted as one of the great cooking myths, (along with sieving modern flour) so I've stopped doing it. Still seems OK.

Cor, all this talk of pasta and pizza - mmmmm, fancy a little smackerel of something right now! - shame its 6.15am :roll: Has anyone out there ever tried to make gluten free pasta? At the moment we have to buy ours. Bread is usually a disaster (we have grounded pigeons and sunk ducks with the crumbs..........) :oops: and pastry just falls apart :cry:

Well I've never actually done it myself but a friend made some pasta using chickpea flour once and it was fantastic. I would imagine that the quantities are similar but probably a bit of trial and error would give you the perfect recipe in the end?

At the organic co-op last night I noticed a jar of Gum Arabic (I think) and it said it was for use in baking etc. when using gluten-free ingredients to prevent the falling apart thing... at least I think it was Gum Arabic... I wasn't fully concentrating as I don't generally look out for gluten free stuff, but something about it stuck in my mind...

Thanks guys - I'll have a think. I have heard of spelt flour but as Paul is Coeliac he is senstive and looking at a packet at our local deli I dont think it will work

Gum arabic....mmm.... sounds like something an old professor would use to seal his envelopes!

At the moment I will stick to buying dried gluten free pasta - I know making real stuff is meant to be relaxing - but believe me, trying to make any kind of bread / pastry with gluten free flour is anything BUT relaxing!!!

My brother has coeliac disease and can't tolerate spelt flour, he uses gluten free flour and adds the gum arabic to give the flour it's elasticity so that you can make decent bread and pasta give it a go it really does make a difference.........Gum arabic is gum exuded by some kinds of acacia.......

Good luck with th pasta making my brother makes great gluten free pasta you wouldn't know the difference........ :lol: