KateB

Drying pasta

I've got pasta hanging all over my house - literally! I'm making lots to pop in the freezer but how long should I let it dry for before putting it into bags and freezing it? Last time I was a bit keen and when i took it out to cook I had pasta 'nests' where it had all stuck togeher - yuk! :shock:

Many thanks,

Kate.

I seem to remember it being a few hours. I think I also read that if you put extra flour before cutting on it helps with the sticking, but I guess it's too late for that if you've already made it.

You can also freeze it spread out on a baking tray, and then bag it once frozen, which helps to prevent it sticking together - but you need a lot of space in the freezer :?

Good luck!

PS. Thanks for reminding me that I have a pasta machine and used to love using it - somehow I got out of the habit and it's been stuck in the back of the cupboard...

Where on earth do you get 00 flour from? Neither the Tesco's nor the Sainsbury's near me stocks it... Waitrose perhaps??

Thanks for the advice, i left it until i went to bed and popped it into the freezer - yum.

It's so easy and relaxing, everyone should have a go!

The recipe I use is so simple - 8oz pasta flour and 2 eggs. Mix the eggs into the flour using your fingers and knead until smooth and pliable and soft as a baby's bottom. Leave to rest for 15 minutes then roll out either using a rolling pin or a pasta machine and make into whatever shape using the attachments or a sharp knife and a steady hand. Leave to dry out for a while before cooking for 2-3 minutes in boiling slightly salted water.

Yum yum yum!

As I was washing up tonight I was thinking about the threads on

pasta making and in particular the treads from Kate on how to make it. :D I then thought about my bread maker and the recipe/instruction book that came with it. I was very pleased to find recipes for pasta and I can use the machine to make the dough. Off out tomorrow to try and find semolina flour. :D:D You're a brilliant inspiring family :D:D

As I was washing up tonight I was thinking about the threads on

pasta making and in particular the treads from Kate on how to make it. :D I then thought about my bread maker and the recipe/instruction book that came with it. I was very pleased to find recipes for pasta and I can use the machine to make the dough. Off out tomorrow to try and find semolina flour. :D:D You're a brilliant inspiring family :D:D

Noo - don't do it. Pasta is Therapy. 100g flour per egg (sorry Kate - translating for the modern market) depending on size. Then knead by hand. It's mindless and relaxing if you want it to be, or time to think if you don't.

Re machines : apparently the pasta purist should regard the machine as anathema - the dough should be stretched , as you might with a rolling pin, rather than squeezed and crushed as with a machine. But I think there comes a point ... :D I always use a machine. It's about ten years old now, and it was a frightful extravagance when we got it. Everyone said it would sit in the cupboard and rust, but it's been great.

Pizza is also Therapy of course (see www.pizzatherapy.com)

Oh Kate, you make it sound so easy....but you do have those super knickers! Do you need a machine do you think?

It is easy - eventually. I think the first time I did it it took over two hours - and we had people round waiting to eat it. :oops: Just take care not to make it too sticky the first time you do it in a machine.