mdshamilton Posted March 9, 2010 Share Posted March 9, 2010 Are you adding garlic powder to the chicken pellets to help with the smell? You can get it from most farm supply shops usually aimed at horses - a huge tub for about £8. No, your eggs do not end up tasting of garlic. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
fluffyknickers Posted March 9, 2010 Share Posted March 9, 2010 My eglu just stands on the mud (used to be grass!!!!) and they have aubiose or similar in it and in the eglu. The run is covered by tarpaflex. I also use stalosan F on the ground, bokashi when I have it and garlic powder in their feed. They do not free range in the whole garden but the run and eglu sits in an area that I have made for them using Omlet chicken wire. So they are allowed out into this area only and cannot get beyond it into the rest of the garden. I also have link-a-bord around the area but you could use anything if you worried about the bedding going round the garden - I have to say though this doesnt actually happen to us. I have found its so much easier keeping chickens (and actually any pet/animal) in the spring/summer so will get better soon! michelle Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ladyjulian Posted March 9, 2010 Share Posted March 9, 2010 Ok so here are some photos of my garden, any adivce greatly appreciated I'm thinking, picket fence across the patio, then raised beds from railway sleepers for veggies on the area that is supposed to be grass. then slabs where the cube & run is http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj282/no1smiles2000/photo-9.jpg http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj282/no1smiles2000/photo-8.jpg http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj282/no1smiles2000/photo-7.jpg That's similar to our set-up - chickens on the left (as you face the garden) and veggies on the right. There's a fox problem near me, so we've paved underneath the chicken area and then the run & house sit on top of the slabs, with a thick layer of aubiose (or bark chippings) inside the run. When it's time for cleaning, the whole run gets lifted off and all the poo & aubiose swept up. I'm working on how to gate off the veggies from beaky chooks... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...