angelavdavis Posted March 1, 2010 Share Posted March 1, 2010 Hi all, I collected four more rescue batts at the weekend. They all seem quite lively (bit smelly but that will soon go once they get some fresh air!) They are clearly still a bit spooked by the change in environment which I expected as I have had four rescues before. One of the hens though seems to have a droopy wing. I have examined it and she allows me to stretch it out fine without a noise so I am unsure if it is broken, I couldn't find any obvious breaks in it. However, she is quiet and keeps cuddling up to the other birds and isn't eating anything. I have added some limestone flour into cooked leftovers and they have their layers pellets and grit. I am worming them all and have put some oregano oil into their water. Any other ideas? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted March 1, 2010 Share Posted March 1, 2010 hmm I'm not sure what could be causing that.. it could be lack of muscle power and a few days will see it right sorry I cant be more constructive Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
tom123 Posted March 1, 2010 Share Posted March 1, 2010 I agree, it could be that she hasn't used it enough or she might have broken it? If I was you I would see how she is on Wednesday or Thursday and if no better then take her to the vet. Is the bone that joins her body and her wing hot at all? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
angelavdavis Posted March 1, 2010 Author Share Posted March 1, 2010 Is the bone that joins her body and her wing hot at all? No, there seemed nothing wrong when I examined her. I wondered whether it was an old break or congenital defect which has healed but because she is a bit overwhelmed by everything I am assuming its a new injury. I had considered it might just be bruising. Will keep an eye on her and get her to the vets if she doesn't improve. Thanks everyone Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dancing cloud Posted March 1, 2010 Share Posted March 1, 2010 It took my Chance four days to realise she had wings she could move . She then moved the left wing enough to balance on the ladder and get herself to bed and only moved the right wing after two weeks out of her cage. Her first full wing-flap was a real moment! It may be that your poor baby dosn't have enough muscle strength yet to hold her wing properly, though you might want to get her checked over if she shows no improvement soon. Is she eating and drinking much yet? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
angelavdavis Posted March 1, 2010 Author Share Posted March 1, 2010 Hi, Well checked on them tonight and they seem a bit more spirited are have eaten all their food today - I even put in the leftovers from the other hens. Little droopy wing gave a big squawk at me when I moved her into the cage and pecked Mum afterwards when she tried to stroke one of the other hens, so perhaps she is just grumpy! I will continue to keep an eye on her though in case. It is early days for them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted March 1, 2010 Share Posted March 1, 2010 it's not uncommon I am afraid, could be a few things, most likely in the catching and handling of them if the "farmer" assisted the rescue! Might be a wee while or a few days only Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...