emmab

Just wondering....

If chickens lay eggs 'in sync' with each other. I've noticed over the last few days as soon as one goes in the nest box to lay, the others decide its a good idea too and wait their turn to go in. (I dont know why they dont go in at the same time-there's two nest boxes but they all prefer the one on the left for some reason.) You know how women who hang around together end up with the same monthly cycle, well, do you think it's the same for chickens? They used to lay at all different times of the day but today it's nearly 4pm and no eggs from anyone! I know they take a day off every so often but it's never fallen on the same day before. Weird eh? Although I'm not sure if they are just feeling lazy, they seem to be having too much fun sunbathing in the dirt to be bothered today! x

I would say that mine tend to do that too.

Blodwyn and Megan have the occasional day off - when they are about to do this they lay eggs progressively later in the day and then have a day off. Gwennie will always lay her egg at the same time as the earlier of the other two chooks. She has only had one day off in 6 months - she is amazing.

Even when they aren't laying, if one disappears into the cube later in the day, the others all trundle along to have a look and commune with the one that is laying.