jellykelly

Uh oh - I have a rattly chicken

The last hour or so, one of my ex batts ahs been standing in the corner of the garden looking miserable and sleepy. I thought she was napping.

When I went outside to round them up for bed, she wouldn't move and her breathing is very loud, rattly and cleary hard work. She has to open her beak to breathe. I've brought her inside for the night and offered her grapes,which were refused.

Do you think that this is it? It does sound like a death rattle. What could it be?

I would get her to the vet asap, the trouble with chooks is they hide illness really well, and often are quite poorly by the time they show syptoms.

Bringing her in is the right thing, don't let her get too hot though as like us an infection MAY also mean a temperature. make sure she is offered water lots, even offering up to her beak.

See if she will eat in the morning she wil need to keep her strength up, if you have citrricidal, put it in her water.

There is a high calorie paste for dogs called nourish um, they need very small ammounts, you can get it at pets at home ans some other pet shops sell it, or something similar, there is one for cats and another for rabbits etc. too.

This might give her the strength to fight it at the very least till Monday, see how sahe is in the morning.

good luck

Thanks for your reply. There is drinking water with citricidal available all day to her in the run (been adding it since the new ones came two weeks ago) and also one with cider apple vinegar.

Shes in another room right now, and I can hear her from here. I don't hold out much hope of her seeing the morning.

make sure she is offered water lots, even offering up to her beak.

suggested from my own experience, just because it is available sometimes they just don't feel up to going to it, and for some reason don't like stopping their necks to it.

Fingers crossed indeed! good luck

oh just to explain a small bowl, beaker cup, offered right in front of her at the height of her beak.... she might?

Well, she is still with us this mornng. Last night I found that her crop was huge and hard and was probably the cause of the rattling, it must have been restricting her breathing.

I massaged the crop and spooned water into her. I did mention to hubby that I would go out and get some maggots in the morning to try and help things along.

Well, hubby is a pleb! He got up for work at 5.40, looked in on her and without examining her, decided she was better and put her in the garden - with the dog food!.

I could kill him. Now I don't know whether the blockage had started to clear and her crop is full of dog food or whther she's added more to it. Needless to say, hubby got a stern telling off.

On the bright side, her breathing is no longer noisy. I will be keeeping a close eye all day.