Jodie1975

Baby rabbits that aren't used to grass and the Eglu

Hi, I picked up my two baby rabbits on the weekend and didn't realise until I spoke to the breeder, that they aren't meant to spend too much time on the grass as they eat too much and get poorly. I have had to cover the grass with cardboard (luckily had some from a new patio set) but they are still nibbling bits at the edge. Is this OK? Has anyone else had this problem, if so, how long did it take for them to get used to it. I don't want to keep them shut in the Eglu to stop them eating it. Also, they have hardly touched the water and have eaten less food in the last 24 hrs - is this because they were full on grass or because it's made them poorly?? They seem ok and have been running up and down all day. :anxious:

Gosh, I have never heard that it is bad to give rabbits grass :shock: I am not really clued up on baby rabbits but I am sure someone else will come along soon. Logic would tell me that they probably haven't had much fresh grass prior to now so a large amount might be quite a change and therefore a bit of a shock to their systems.

Your breeder is right - they shouldn't have grass for a while (I would wait until they are at least 12 weeks old) and then they should be introduced to very small amounts. Only when they are eating grass with no runny poos can they be introduced to veg, and again, tiny amounts over a few days at first. Once they're used to it you won't have problems, but their digestive systems are very temperamental. Can you move the eglu onto concrete or flags for now? If not, you need to do as you've already done and cover the grass. Please DON"T shut them in the eglu house, even at night - it is far too small to contain bunnies for any length of time (the equivalent of keeping them in a tiny box!). The minimum hutch size for a pair of rabbits is five feet by two - omlet intended rabbits to have 24 hour access to the run when in the eglu and not to be confined (you don't need to worry - it is completely safe, and they are hardy little things who won't get cold).

Hi, thanks for your replies. I have kept the grass covered and they have been playing out in the run from about 7am - 10.30pm. I don't like shutting them in at night but as they are only 8 weeks old and it's so cold here, I feel it's best until the heat pad I've ordered turns up (hopefully tomorrow). I'm hoping they will have the sense to go in and sit on it if they are cold.

Their poo is back to normal now, even though they have been having bits of grass at the edges of the run - I guess they are getting used to it. How much grass do fully grown rabbits normally eat? Mine just seem to go mad for it! :)

I know they are expensive but if you could put another heat pad in the run that would be a good idea. The bunnies don't always sleep at night in the eglu. Mine certainly don't. I give them blankets to lay on and they even have a cat bed (which they just throw about, but the thought was there :lol: ). Some bunnies like to 'eat' blankets etc. though so if you do introduce them, keep an eye on them.

Hi, thanks for the advice.

They are in the run now (almost midnight) just sitting next to (not even in) their cardboard box! The heat pad is under their bedding, I'm not sure if they like it or not. I put it in there tonight when I gave them some broccoli at about 9.30pm. I only have a summer shade on the run (thought it was meant to be summer!!) and so wish I'd ordered the winter one now! I'm going to be worried about them tonight :anxious: I might go out in a minute and put a rug over the run and put a blanket or towel in there. A cat basket is a good idea, shame your bunnies don't use it.

I really wouldn't worry - buns are very hardy animals that are designed to cope with cold temperatures. It's the heat you need to worry more about as they cope much worse with that. Your two will be just fine. If it was below zero and you had baby buns outside that would be different, but in springtime they will honestly be OK. They will cuddle up together and keep each other cosy.

Thanks for all the advice. I put a fleece blanket in the run the other night and they seemed to love it. They sit on it all the time now, day and night! I don't think they like the heatpad as they wouldn't go in the Eglu when it was in there, so I put it under the blanket in the run and they then stopped sitting on that too. I guess they really are hardy enough in this weather :)