Electricbarbarella Posted May 11, 2010 Share Posted May 11, 2010 One of my newish girls has got mycoplasma, i ohoned where I got her from and they have confirmed that they have had it and lost a lot of birds. She is being put down as she is too ill, will the rest of the girls get it? She is a silkie, the rest are mainly hybrids and none of them are showing any signs, is there anything I should do to help prevent them all getting it. They are getting on a bit now and I am so worried that I have introduced something so nasty into the flock. I feel pathetic but I am absolutly beside myself. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
staceychristie Posted May 11, 2010 Share Posted May 11, 2010 Sorry to hear your problem. I think that I'm right in saying that your hybrids (if exbatts) have probably been vaccinated against all sorts of nasties. It's always wise to confine the new girls until you are sure the new arrivals are free from any ailments, as it can rapidly spread through flocks. All you can really do at this stage is seek vets advice and follow that. If any show signs, then you'll have to act quickly. Best of luck, Stacey Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tutti Frutti Posted May 11, 2010 Share Posted May 11, 2010 I lost one of my three girls (all bought at the same time from the same farm) to suspected mycoplasma. My vet said at the time that many flocks have mycoplasma underlying in their systems and it only raises its ugly head when the bird is stressed or has a reduced immune system. Just to reassure you, my other two girls are absolutely fine (touch wood) and we've since introduced 2 ex-barnies and, just recently, 3 POL girls. Like Stacey said, if any of your other girls show any signs of illness (the sniffles or are quiet or hunched up or sleepy), get them to the vets asap for treatment as mycoplasma can take hold very quickly. Have faith in your vet and yourself. For what it's worth, I think you're doing the kindest thing for her... my girl went through 2 weeks of ups and downs and suddenly went downhill and her death was distressing Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Electricbarbarella Posted May 11, 2010 Author Share Posted May 11, 2010 thanks, none of the others have shown any signs so I am keeping everything crossed. I have had her for 6 months, when I ohoned the farm I got her from they said straight away exactly what it was and discribed the symptons to me. she has gone now she was not a well girl, I feel terrible that I didn't realise something major was wrong sooner, my excuse is that she is black with black skin and black eyes and black feathers and didn't stay still for more than a second until a few days ago. I am hoping that means she wasn't really ill until a few days ago. , I lost one of the ex batts last week so am not feeling too good at the minute. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted May 11, 2010 Share Posted May 11, 2010 Sorry to hear it, Electricbarbarella. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
staceychristie Posted May 11, 2010 Share Posted May 11, 2010 Electricbarberella (((HUGS)))) Don't blame yourself. Girls are known for hiding just how ill they are (as they are flock animals, they don't want to show signs of weakness). I'm sure that you did your best for her. Sorry Stacey Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...