Cazjohn

Help on Introductions

Hi All,

Up until recently my two Angora's Max and Paddy were living happily together both neutered males, unfortunately Paddy died a few days ago.

Max has been very miserable ever since so asked the RSPCA for advice and they suggested getting a female rabbit for company.

Unfortunately the RSPCA didn't have any so we re-homed one from Pets at Home but she has not been neutered which the Vet said would be OK.

We have kept them in separate enclosures but when they get a chance to be nose to nose through the bars they are very aggressive and try to bite one another.

It has only been a few hours but would like to know if this is just a waiting game or will she need neutering?

Thanks in Advance

Caroline

Getting her spayed will make her less prone to bunny strops and PMT so will help in the long run, but it shouldn't be essential for a successful introduction. They need to meet on neutral territory - somewhere neither of them has been before, as buns are very territorial and right now they probably each feel the other is threatening "their" space. It sounds daft, but the bath can be a very good place for a first meeting! Keep it very short at first, just a couple of minutes at a time - eventually they will accept each other, it's just a matter of time. Then you can start introducing her on his territory (never on hers, as females are more protective of their space). Once they groom each other, they have bonded. Don't worry if one starts mounting the other (chances are it will be her mounting him) - this is just an expression of dominance. One of them has to be, and as soon as they work out who it is, the happier they'll both be. There's loads of info on the net about getting rabbits to bond if you check it out. Good luck and persevere - they will eventually love each other, promise!

Just to add to what has just been said, I agree with using the bath ! Or letting them run round the entire garden, if it is safe and neither has done that before (it worked with mine, I had the hosepipe at the ready in case they started fighting.) Wear thick, strong gloves when introducing them in the bath or the male's hutch, just so you can safely grab or calm one of the rabbits in the event of panic or figthing.

Spaying would definetely help, but you might be able to introduce them without doing so, it's just a lot healthier and more comfortable for the female in the long-term (- how old is she?) See how it goes !

Thanks so much for your help, I'm very used to chicken intros but not Bunnies, it makes me realize now what a special bond Max and Paddy had!

Fortunately we've got a spare run so we've built Smudge a run parallel to Max and this morning they seem to be playing 'mirror me' it's wonderful to see Max so lively whatever his motivation for following her every move!

We've got a neutral chicken free bit of garden so we'll spend some time every day with them and see how we progress.

As to Smudges age or breed we have no idea as she was simply abandoned :( she looks like a dwarf lop to me but age wise I've no idea I'm hoping the Vet will give us some idea when we take her for a check up.

Thanks again for your help

Caroline