juliec

wild bees

Hi everyone

Im just after a little bit of help and advice, i have a wild bee (very small) coloney moved into my bird house, i think they are lovely and interesting to watch, however they are located on a border fence between myself and quite unreasonable neighbours (we have had many issues) anyway to cut a long story short, the neighbours have complained that when their children hit the fence they disurb the bees and cause them to swarm and they want me to do something about it. My view is tell the kids not to hit the fence, and leave them alone but im sure they will come a complaining again. So my question is how do i stand can i just say that they are on my property and they will just have to live with it or will i have to get them moved? Any suggestions please ?

There's no such thing as a 'tame' bee! Are these bumble bees, or honey bees?

If you bash a box full of bees, they will feel threatened and come out to defend their colony, whatever sort of bee they are. If they're left alone though, it's very unlikely they will be aggressive and sting.

I'd tell the neighbour that you did not encourage them there, but that now they are there, they are a protected species :liar: and can't be moved!

Seriously, if they are honey bees, then I'd contact your local bee keeping group and see if someone can remove them - because they will stay there, or another colony will next there next year, and you'll have an ongoing problem. If they are bumble bees then I'd leave them alone because they probably won't nest in the same place next year. As far as the neighbour is concerned, I'm inclined to agree that her kids shouldn't be hitting the fence! I don't see there is any obligation on you to remove them, unless they are causing a public nuisance, though. If you had a wasp's nest on your property, you might WANT to remove it yourself, but I don't think anyone could oblige you to.

Your neighbours do sound totally unreasonable. Either stop the kids from hitting the fence (which is the boundary between your garden and theirs so deserving of some respect anyway) would be the obvious solution!

Bumbles will only stay until the autumn, if I were brave enough (!) I'd just tell them that; and also that bumbles are totally non-agressive, not your responsibility, and many species are endangered. You could see if you could get some kid-freindly bumblebee info off internet or wherever so the children learn to apprcieate the bees - but that depends very much on how horrific your neighbours really are!

Hi guys and thanks for the replies, just a quick update, i had 'pest control' from enviromental health call unannounced at my home today, it seems my neighbours called them to report the bees! the chaps were very nice but did suggest i move the next box when the bees are asleep................ so im not quite sure to do next and is their request enforceable

These are bumble bees? Is this your fence or your neighbours? Presumably it belongs to your neighbours as they are hitting it with impunity. If that is the case you should not be using their fence to hang your nest box onto.

Regarding the bees; as previously stated, they are protected and so should not be disturbed, as far as is possible, by you or anyone else. Suggestions are not instructions or directives, but the ownership of the fence needs to be ascertained (will be in the deeds) and, if necessary, move the box the minimum distance to get it fixed to a post, put in absolutely adjacent to the fence (and at the same spot as it is now) if the fence is not your property.

If the fence is your property you are at liberty to point out that their children are potentially damaging your fence and should cease hitting it. Keep things legal.

Regards, RAB

Thanks for the advice Rab, the fence does infact belong to me and is stated so in the deads, because we live in a relatively new build the fence in question is very close to her patio windows due to the fact she has a postage stamp for a garden, i will await her next visit and take it from there