jellykelly

I got two new guinea pigs today.

Tis is the first time that I have had guinea pigs. I found the two little boys at Pets at home in the 'adoption centre'. Very cute little things they are and are about 1.5 yrs old.

They are to be mainly kept as an indoor pet but will spend several hours per day outside in their nice playpen.

My son managed to lose the 'caring for your GP' leaflet somewhere on the way home, so if anyone has any basic pointers I'd be greatful!

The newbies names are Frank the Tank (he's a big boy) and Bob. I will try and get pics if they ever come out of hiding!

I don't think my two boys are two boys. Frank keeps trying to mount Bob

I'm afraid to say that is precisely why we had to separate our two males. The 'target' pig was losing weight and looking ill.

We keep them together but in separate cages so that they're not lonely but have their own space.

We make sure they have mountains of hay which they like to eat and build elaborate tunnels with.

I once read something which said guinea pigs spend most of their time sleeping and the rest of their time resting.

They don't care for toys greatly in my experience unless it can be eaten.

I don't think my two boys are two boys. Frank keeps trying to mount Bob. I'm hoping he was just trying to be first for the carrots but not so sure :wall::doh:

This happens a lot...we had two boys and one was forever purring and trying to mount the other and they were definitely boys!! :roll:

They're quite easy to sex, do a google search for a guide and have a look.

I did turn them upside down and shook them - both rattled (only kidding)so yep, they're both boys!!!

Don't they poo a lot? I'm quite surprised by how much they can do per day. Thank goodness they're the kids pets - It's their job to clean them out!

They poo almost constantly!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I had them when I was a girl, it used to drive my Mum mad as there would be a trail of poo through the house as I'd carried by piggy through and taken him to sit with me in my bedroom!!! :whistle::lol:

The dogs used to love eating it too!! :vom: