Bramble Posted July 19, 2010 Share Posted July 19, 2010 Well, all went very well with day one yesterday, until bedtime. The chucks are in an eglu classic with run, but how do you get them to go in at night? I tried several times to shoo them in through the door, but without success and I felt I was just stressing them out so I left them in the run in the hope they'd go in by themselves. Was that the right thing to do? They've all made it through their first night, anyway and seem ok this morning (and we have another egg!) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lavenders_Blue Posted July 19, 2010 Share Posted July 19, 2010 Apparently a broom is quite a good way of shooing the girls into the eglu at night Or if you can reach them, you can pick them up and post them in through the egg port. It will only take them a couple of nights to realise that the eglu is where bed is and they will happily put themselves away, leaving you only to shut their door (if that's what you choose to do). What time were you trying to shoo them to bed by the way? Mine are heading up the wooden hill somewhere around 9.20 if that's of any help. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bramble Posted July 19, 2010 Author Share Posted July 19, 2010 Thank you! I tried the broom, I was very gentle but it just resulted in three rather stressed hens? This was about 9.30, one had taken herself off to bed already, but the other two wouldn't go, if it continues to be a problem, I think I'll cover the run with a tarpaulin. Thanks for the advice, I'm just an over anxious mum! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted July 19, 2010 Share Posted July 19, 2010 Another trick is to put a torch inside the house when it starts to get dark - it sort of shows them the way! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bramble Posted July 19, 2010 Author Share Posted July 19, 2010 Oh thats a good idea, thanks - perhaps they need a nightlight!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MadAboutChooks Posted July 19, 2010 Share Posted July 19, 2010 I would defo try the torch, they are drawn to the light. It worked with mine! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
grb944 Posted July 19, 2010 Share Posted July 19, 2010 If they are locked in the run, I wouldn't worry about it..they will eventually go in .. If I can't gert mine back in the run I throw down dried mealworms..they go crazy for thise.. Trick is to only use this treat for getting them in, during the day they get different traets but never the mealworm. But saying that..I often go out at 7-8pm to get them in the run and find that they are already in bed ! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky1 Posted July 19, 2010 Share Posted July 19, 2010 Hi Bramble I think everyone enncounters that problem when they first get chooks. We've tried the torch, broom and posting them through the port. Eventually they will sort themselves out. When we next got chooks we put them in the house and left them in there for about 45 mins with the door shut. Then we let them find their own way out - they went to bed on their own no trouble. Good Luck Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mercedes55 Posted July 19, 2010 Share Posted July 19, 2010 We used the torch method the first night but it didn't do anything so we just gently shooed them in with a broom. After a few days they will go in on their own as it starts to get dark. Our head hen herds our other 3 in before it's even starting to get dark so she can have some alone time in the run Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sezra Posted July 19, 2010 Share Posted July 19, 2010 We had the same problem with our hens when we first got them, we had to actually pick them up and put them to bed! On the third night they just seemed to have got the idea and have put themselves to bed since! I t might take longer with ex batts but in my experience hens learn their routine very quickly especially when food is involved! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bramble Posted July 19, 2010 Author Share Posted July 19, 2010 Thanks everyone, it's good to know Im not the only one and that you are all so patient with my incessant questions! Thank you!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Burtie14 Posted July 19, 2010 Share Posted July 19, 2010 I definitely endorse the torch trick. Wait until it starts getting dark, and then just shine the torch on the entrance hole. It takes a little patience (and possibly a tired arm) but once one of them gets the hang of it, the others will (eventually) follow. After a couple of evenings they'll get the hang of it. Silly chickens. (I find myself saying that a lot these days!) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
the bradley bunch Posted July 19, 2010 Share Posted July 19, 2010 (edited) ok... so we must have struck gold with our trio of ex-bats because they put themselves to bed everynight at around 8pm, so all we have to do is nip out and lock the door to the hen house before we head up to bed ourselves at 8:30/9pm! we have never forced or encouraged them into bed at this time so it's not learnt behaviour - from day one they have taken themselves to bed early of their own accord. some nights they have even been in bed by 7:30! bearing in mind this is in the middle of Summer so way before nightfall. they must be little angels we get them up in the morn between 8-9am. they seem happy & healthy and on the odd occassion when i pop my head in the house to whisper a sneaky goodnight they are always snuggled up together in the nest box, so i think they just love cosying up . they do FR pretty much all day because i'm at home with them so maybe this wears them out so come evening time they're ready for abit of R&R. we are planning on adding 2 new girls to our family soon tho, so i'm hoping they follow suit and don't lead astray my good girlies! Edited July 19, 2010 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
docsquid Posted July 19, 2010 Share Posted July 19, 2010 The torch got ours up into the cube when we first had them - only needed a couple of nights then they got the hang of it although Gwennie is quite a clever chicken and showed the others the way! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
midori Posted July 19, 2010 Share Posted July 19, 2010 Ours put themselves to bed about 10pm, but they were out until 10.30 the other night. (under supervision that late!) If I ever want them to go in earlier, I use corn to 'lure' them into the run, so maybe you could do the same to get them into the house? Or just try waiting a bit later at first to see if they go in alone? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
capper Posted July 19, 2010 Share Posted July 19, 2010 Hope you have had better luck getting girls to bed 2nite, my 3 ex batts had no idea at first so I used to pick them up and put them bed - it gave me a chance for a cuddle and quick check over - but to be honest as with bradley bunch by third night they were going back in run for last minute top up of food and water then all be tucked up half hour later. I lock the door on Eglu classic when I am sure they are not going to come back out and usually let them out around 7am next morning. They love a routine - I bet yours will pick it up soon. x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bramble Posted July 20, 2010 Author Share Posted July 20, 2010 Well, as you all predicted, my three ex-batts seem to have got the hang of things and put themselves to bed last night with no intervention from me at all! I noticed they seem to get the hang of the run a bit better yesterday, that they can come and go in and out as they wish so hopefully they'll be fine now. It's their first day "home alone" today, wish I'd set up "hencam" so I can keep an eye on them from the office .... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sezra Posted July 20, 2010 Share Posted July 20, 2010 Well, as you all predicted, my three ex-batts seem to have got the hang of things and put themselves to bed last night with no intervention from me at all! Hurray! Clever girls! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...