Dizzy-Deb

So much to do on garden. ~ WIR roof - problems!~

I sometimes wonder how went from a simple eglu/run to a cube, WIR and all the fittings.... :lol::lol::lol: . This forum has a lot to answer for (and I mean that nicely :D ). xx

Amen to that :lol:

I cannot believe how much money we have spent out, it's getting to the stage where I think we must be insane.

We also spent some time wondering what size tarps to get as they have so many sizes. In the end we bought a pack of 5 8ft by 6ft and 2 12ft by 6ft. We also bought a couple of packs of tape, which we haven't needed and I don't think they have a returns policy which is a nuisance. Also bought a couple of packs of the eyelet kits as we had to trim the tarps and then of course you end up with nothing to attach them with. We have a pack of 30 bungees but so far have only used a few of them.

My OH's latest idea is to use some guttering downpipe to roll the tarps up with and then to attach them with guttering brackets as when we tried to unwind the one tarp on the side that was rolled up it had all started to stick together and took ages to roll down. It's such a learning curve :?

Guttering is good, it stops the rain blowing off roof back into the run. Take care if they are drinking water from the butt because wild bird droppings landing on the roof will wash into it. I think Redwing uses something to clean the water with then gives it to them. :?

I ordered tarps I thought would fit and a bit extra but they were quite a bit bigger than the size stated so I cut them to size sewed a seam and added some more holes. I doubt you'll find the exact size for the sides of the run. You can use tarpaulin tape if you don't want to ruin your sewing machine :oops:

I'm waiting for the freezing weather to see what happens to my roof. I have a bit of water in between the overlaps so I'm praying it won't crack when it freezes. :anxious::anxious:

sorry you have had problems with your roof, we are constructing ours at the moment. What angle do you have your roof at? is it the corrugated PVC stuff? We reduced the angle of our roof from 6 degrees to 3 degrees so that there was more head room so really hoping this is sufficient. It is screwed on very firmly but it becomes more prone to shattering in cold conditions.