Dizzy-Deb

So much to do on garden. ~ WIR roof - problems!~

Hubby bless him has made a start on upper garden where we want to site the chickens. The weeds are HUGE :shock: and suspect there is a triffid or two in there!. Hes made a gallant start....but its just going to take forever to knock it into useable for some chucks.

View from bedroom, you can see how over grown it all is. :wall: Somehow have to construct some kind of stairs so can access it properly too. Bit tricky with stepladders.

P1000776.jpg

My hero :lol::lol:

P1000779.jpg

Incidentally we used to have lovely forest trees behind the garden till stupid council decided they were all to come down so can redevelope the area. It was beautiful before. :twisted::twisted::twisted:

More weeds, those trees have got to go.

P1000780.jpg

Pooped now. Keeping a beady eye out for grass snakes.!

P1000782.jpg

Weeds weeds weeds everywhere!

P1000783.jpg

Sigh! even more weeds

P1000784.jpg

A bit of a clearing forming. :dance:

P1000785.jpg

If its nice tomorrow we will have another bash. I think I am on fence painting duty while he kills a few more weeds. :D:D:D

Was planning to have a 12 x 6 x 6 WIR but really think theres room for a much larger one... heee heee. xx

Edited by Guest

Ahhh bless you! I know how it feels. Our garden goes up into the mountains and you need atheletes calf muscles to get to the top! We battled the worst of the nettles and then I just got too impatient and plonked the hen house in the middle :shameonu::oops: . The girls have been brilliant and have started their own landscape buisness, its amazing how they clear the ground, kick stones away etc etc!

Good Luck clearing it you must be really excited!

Think how proud you'll be when it's completed. :) It will be great! :clap: Your chooks will clear that area for you very thoroughly in no time at all!

A quick aside.............. we have already accumulated over £100 for our WIR fund - do you remember our discussion a few days ago?!! E-bay items finishing tomorrow to hopefully swell the coffers even further :clap:

It will be fab when its all finished as its been an eyesore to us for a while now, but never really got round to doing anything with the ground. So will be pleased to finally see something become of it. :D

There is no access to the upper ground, so need to get something built. Only way up is via the stepladders and thats not really safe at all.

I wouldnt really want to let any chickens loose up there just yet to help with the clearing as probably wouldnt ever find them again :lol: .

Have heard that the council now are going to put us all a closed board fence up at the back, as immediately behind wire fence is a public walkway. Funny when we first moved in we were not allowed to do that, and could only have wire fence to be in keeping with the natural habitat. That will benefit us as it will stop prying eyes into the rear garden and seeing the chickens. Have found out today that a neighbour a few doors up who has chickens had his stolen :shock::shock: , they were right by the wire fence. A fair few people use the walkway and guess someone decided they wanted them. Awful. :twisted:

we have already accumulated over £100 for our WIR fund - do you remember our discussion a few days ago?!! E-bay items finishing tomorrow to hopefully swell the coffers even further :clap:

I do remember our discussion, I am so pleased, thats brilliant. :D:D:D:D . I have still got some of my stuff listed on ebay and finding goods to list too... so like you an recycling stuff dont need to go towards things will be needing for chickens. Its a great way to finance it.

Have you decided which WIR you are having. ??

Bit more progress today, we are both shattered though :lol::lol:

P1000798.jpg

P1000799.jpg

P1000800.jpg

P1000801.jpg

P1000803.jpg

P1000804.jpg

P1000806.jpg

P1000807.jpg

You can see we have managed to clear some of the ground, and start to level it up a bit. Its where the chickens are going to be housed. Hes leaving room for the WIR + cube intend to get.... but durrr dummm... we pick up an (green eglu) next week and GNRGNR:dance:

It will be sited in front. Theres plenty of room :D

Hopefully can get some slabs down tomorrow ready for the (green eglu) . Fencing panels going to be ordered so we can block off anyone seeing them if they walk up back of garden. Although saying that, as of tomorrow work is to commence on the ground at rear of garden, and the company that has the tender is fencing it all off, so hoping it extends right up to our mesh fence. That would be fab. Will make it private then.

I am so excited. :lol:

There is still heaps to be done, but hey-ho what a project eh! :D

Thanks for comments. :D Its interesting to see how it is progressing each week, bit by bit.

Hoping the weather stays dry tomorrow as need to get a bit more done. Hubby wants to get the slabs down to go under the eglu am having.

So far we have been lucky and havent spent a penny on the chicken project. The fence woodstain, the wood... even the slabs (lying around garden) have.

The eglu + chickens and bits having next weekend... all have been paid for by ebaying stuff off. :D

I know the plan was to go for a cube & WIR first, and sure it wont be long before upgrade, but just couldnt miss the opportunity of an eglu and some chickens that were less than a mile away from me. Best of all the lady is from my running group too so was a pleasant suprise today when we went round and realised we knew each other. Its a small world sometimes. :lol::lol:

We are both well worn out :lol::lol: .

Our weekends are Sun & Mon so being back at work today is a relief... at least can catch our breath before the next bash at it. Just placed order for some fence panels, posts, more sand and more wood for the construction of the staircase we will need to put in place properly. Should arrive on Thursday and then we have few days off next week so fingers crossed and weather permitting can have a real good go at it.

Need to just finish off the ground area where going to put the eglu and chucks, thats the priority at moment, the rest we can work around.

Its all egg-citing. !! :lol::lol::lol::lol: Sorry couldnt help myself. :clap:

Woohoo the chickens and eglu have landed. :clap::clap::clap:

Had to quickly change the plan as to which way round it was going as had forgotten all about the tray and pulling it out :lol: as I was going to site it with the house part close to the fence. No worries though as this is only temporary as will be doing WIR asap.

For now the girls are on some slabs.

P1000818.jpg

Waiting for them at arrive... slabs at the ready.

P1000820.jpg

Set up and settling in. Nice temp dust bath until can let them out.

P1000821.jpg

New fence panels up which will is where the WIR will be pitched.

P1000823.jpg

Pecking about. :D

P1000825.jpg

Move over ...move over.

P1000826.jpg

It looks massive now its here. :lol:

P1000827.jpg

Work commencing other side of fence panels, digging out the soil as its on such a slope, setting up area for compositing so its out of sight.

P1000828.jpg

Moving the spare soil to help build up the other areas.

It really does look a mess at the moment, but hopefully in time and hard work it will start to take shape. I am almost embarressed to post any pictures after seeing everyones elses lovely set ups... but know have to start somewhere. Hopefully in time it will take shape and we will be proud of the achievement.

Waiting for my Omlet wire to arrive (Wed) and we are fencing off section for them so they can come out of the eglu run when we are there. They are used to being out so cant wait to let them out too.

My clever little hens have already laid two eggs, one in the carrier this morning and the other in the nesting box. :dance::dance::dance: . Clever little girls xx

You are doing really well with all the clearing and shaping. In a year you will look back amazed :D

We have worked very hard this weekend and two extra days off we have had trying to beat the garden into some kind of submission. :lol: I dread to think how many barrow fulls of soil I have moved from one area to the next. Hardly looks like we have done anything but we both feel exhausted and thankful to be going back to work tomorrow for a rest. :lol::lol:

Went out on a 5k race tonight, and hardly had the energy to put my trainers on never mind pounding the streets after all energy expended today. Not surprising I came last. :oops::anxious::roll:

Hubby has decided to start the WIR area though, hes started slabbing over the area ready for where its going to go. Need to order the wood and wire tomorrow. Now to decide if to put the eglu in the WIR or go ahead and order a cube...decisions decisions. :dance::dance:

Not much to update on but have started the WIR run now :D . Hubby managed to get the first lot of panels up and more or less in position today.

P1000845.jpg

P1000846.jpg

P1000847.jpg

P1000848.jpg

P1000854.jpg

P1000859.jpg

Cube arrives tomorrow but nothing going to happen now till Monday, when hopefully can carry on with it all.

All seems a lot of hard work for two chookies :lol::lol::lol::lol: . Hope they appreciate the back breaking work thats going on for them. xxx