cathybc

another surprise chinchilla baby....

Well, after 'Daisy' turned out to be 'Darcy', I took the resulting baby to the vet to make sure I got the sex right this time. Cobweb was a boy, so I asked the vet when they reach sexual maturity. He went off and checked and said 8 months - so I separated him from his mum at 6 months, thinking this would give enough leeway. But I got home tonight and poor Blueberry has had another baby :roll:

Cobweb is only 8 months old now and the gestation period is approx 110 days, so he must have 'done the deed' at about 5 months. Obviously an early developer...

Mum is being very attentive, but the baby looks very scrawny so fingers crossed it survives. And although not planned, now it is here I am totally in love!...

Aww congrats on your new baby chinnie. :D Will keep everything crossed that the new kit thrives.

I have 4 myself, and there may be the patter of tiny paws too in the future. I was given a chin recently that was supposed to be a boy... but guess what turns out to be a girl :lol: so easy to get it wrong with chins.