chuckmum6

How have you enriched your pigs run?

I have two elderly lady pigs (mum and daughter) who have just moved into a eglu/piglu with a 2m run, as it have been vacated by my home hatched chicks.

They venture out for a quick nibble and drink as I have the water bottle attached to the door (I couldn't see how to fit it inside without drilling hole). I would like to encourage them outside more as they are in need of guinea pig Tena lady pads considering how wet they make their bed! I had a look in B&Q for drainage pipes for them but they were all to tiny for my portly ladies! Any lowcost ideas? The run is completely waterproof as it has a clear waterproof tarp.

I'm not sure if thats something that can be helped to be honest. I only have one guinea pig left and its a nightmare cleaning him out. Do you use sawdust? I personally dont use it because I have found is more of a hinderance than a help in a GP hutch because its a pain to clean out and gets sodden in an instant. I use a lot of straw with newspaper on the bottom and clean him out a lot. Perhaps you could use something like biodry at the bottom of the hutch to soak up the moisture, but I think its quite expensive.

Hope this helps :)

I have 2 mongrel guinea pigs...very cute but not very pretty....exceptional talkers though! I am awaiting the fabrication of a run so currently are in a triple decker hutch. Top floor, bed room with natural fibre hut, with 2 holes that they sleep in/on, turn over etc..corner litter tray. hay rack water bottle and dry food dish. SEcond floor hay rack and greens/fresh dish and a willow tube ( 4 quid from the pet shop) bottom floor corner litter tray, willow tube, apple twigs, water bottle, shoebox full of hay, and a paint tray with shredded card and hay.......they seems quite happy here at the minute, but wish I could afford a second Guinea Eglu. WE use shredded card bedding, as I'm allergic to sawdust, and hay....children do the hay!

You don't have to spend alot of money, but a few extras make the world of difference, try a small cardborad box, a cheap hut/tube from the petshop etc.