Ms Marple

Rat? Fox? Mink/Stoat?

I have been doing a lot of reading on here in the last few days. On Thurs I posted under Fox attacks that I thought perhaps a fox had taken one and killed a second of my chickens out of 12 that are kept together. Having now talked to a farmer friend plus read more on here I am thinking it was not the fox but perhaps rats?

I was away on Tuesday night until Wednesday evening arriving home as the girls were going to bed. The run was empty so I locked them in for the night as usual. On Thursday morning my OH let them out and checked the food supplies as I took my mum for a hopsital appt. On my return I went into the run and then I noticed that I was missing two girls :( Closer inspection revealed a lot of feathers and one of my girls dead with a broken neck behind an enormous ash tree in the run. The other girl was nowhere to be seen, although my neighbour reported some black feathers in his garden to me today :( Obviously I am mortified that I did not notice sooner as it must have happened during the day on Wed as OH was in the back garden all day yesterday.

I have not noticed any tunnels, but to be honest the run is large and we are still constructing the WIR section. I am going to look closer tomorrow and also buy some ratbait to put in a long piece of drainpipe. Our garden is largish, about 3/4 of and acre at the back and ends up at the canal so I guess rats is something I should have considered sooner. :( Also, the run is bounded on two sides by dry stone wall, with a 10ft drop from the top of it into our lower garden - I have read on here somewhere that rats can live in a dry wall? I have taken all of the food in tonight- first time ever.

Do you think from my account that the most likely explanation is rats?

It doesnt sound like rats, it takes a fair bit of effort to break a chickens neck and I am not sure they would have dragged the other one away with no trace

I have had rats in one of my runs stealing eggs but they never bothered the chooks, I think they can kill smaller or frail birds but am not sure they would take on a fully grown healthy chook out in the open

The one that has vanished was disabled to a degree anyway as she had been subject to a fox attack whilst with her previous owner- she had one deformed wing and certainly could not use it. The other chicken had a graze to her neck and had lost lots of feathers but was slumped down behind the tree when I found her (you can see where I mean if you look at the WIR thread towards the end of it).Oh dealt with her as I was upset. He said he thought her neck was broken and I did not check myself. What else might have had a go in braod daylight with the others there?

firstly i want to send my sympathies to you & your OH :(

with regards to the cause of your poor girls' deaths, it does sound like it's more likely to be mink or stoat to me. our garden also backs onto a canal, and there have been alot of reports of mink living under peoples decking in their gardens :shock: mink will also be able to fit though the same size gaps as rats, but they are unfortunately however much more able to kill larger prey and will also take the body away with them if undisturbed (like foxes). apparently mink also go for their preys neck too.

i'm so sorry for the awful information :roll: i haven't enjoyed writing this post one bit, but it seems you need closure and really want to know what happened to your girls, so i felt i couldn't not help.

make sure your run is 'mink-proof' to prevent future attacks, apparently a mink would be able to get through a hole 2" x 3". stoat are alot bigger so it should be easier to secure your run from them.

mink, stoat & rats will also definately be attracted by the smell of your chook's food so continue to take this in at night.

i'm not sure what the rest of your routine is, but we lock our girls up in their house at bedtime as soon as it starts to get dark (currently around 8pm), because there are so many things to worry about and we know that whatever happens they should be safe in their house :pray:

i hope this helps you to get some closure & to keep the rest of your girls safe from this potential predator. there's always something new to worry about as a chicken mummy and to protect your little ones from, but hopfully now you know what you're dealing with you'll be able to keep them safe.

once again i'm so sorry and really hope i have helped you in some way.

*hugs to you and your hubby*

x