Scotty

Those blinking foxes!

Our poor bunny (just 4 months old) has had her foot bitten off by a nasty old fox :x Seems he managed to get her through the wire run of her Eglu. It seems that the fox watch, Lion Poo and security Lights have done nothing to deter these vial creatures. Waiting for the vet calls so we can go pick her up. :pray:

Edited by Guest

Really sorry to hear that. A farmer friend of mine lost 50 partridges to a fox yesterday morning. Despite a huge 'fox proof' run with a roof. There was a tiny hole apparently and it got in that way.

Hope your rabbit recovers speedily.

Edited by Guest

Thankyou! - They get absolutely everywhere! Grrrh - well we just had the phone call to say come and pick her up - she'll be staying in the house with us for a few days - just wondering what to do with her little brother... should I include him in side this evening or leave him alone outside ... gosh what a dilema.

She's in an Eglu which has a run attached. It is fox proof - hence the fox cant get inside... but I was told by a member on this site not to lock the eglu door as they said the eglu isn't big enough for bunnies to stretch out in fully if the door is shut so to let them run in and out of the hutch into the run when they wanted. This bunny is really friendly and often comes right up to the bars to sniff our cats etc etc... I found fox poo round the pen this morning, the water bottle in pieces and when I looked inside the hutch, our poor bunny with her back foot missing or at least shredded. Its such a shame. In any case she is home now and being cuddled by my little girl.

So sorry to hear about your poor bunny - I hope it recovers. I had a similar experience many years ago when a fox got a guinea pig through the wire mesh of a walk in run - so now I have a walk in run with two layers of weld mesh an inch apart. I don't like to keep my rabbits locked up at night - but I think it would be safer for you if they were confined to the eglu when you aren't around - or brought indoors. Unfortunately you can't even leave them in run during the day if you aren't watching as foxes are now around during the daytime too.

Here's a little update, Peppa is doing really well, we've just got back from the vets who has since removed the bandage, she has two toes left on her back foot, but it doesn't seem to stop her or slow her down! she's back also with her beloved George. :drool:

We've now have 8ft fences all the way round the garden We've spent a fortune on plants to grow up, and also make jumping over tricky!, 2 fox watches and have Lion Poo pellets also spread over the garden (cats aren't too impressed with this but heyho!) hopefully it means that we reduce the chances of those pesky foxes getting in again :evil: , and Hens and Bunnies are a little bit safer still... :dance:

Thanks everyone

Scotty and family.