Millie-Annie

Guinea Pig Logistics

I have a difficult dilemma coming soon. My Maurice pig is approx 7-8 years old. He was a fully grown boar when I had him from rescue 5 years ago. Sadly he has been at the vets as for the first time he has mites. He is losing weight fast, and basically is just an old man, who is finding it hard to deal with the problems of being a pig, eg mites. He is happy and eating and bright as a button but so so thin. She asked me if I would consider syringe feeding him, but no I wouldn't. I am not stressing him out for what is not a solution only a short term fix and she did agree.

My dilemma is, I accept sadly I will lose Maurice soon and I will be left with Meggie, who is his third wife and is 3. I thought I would get a boar and a sow as babies, put the sow in with Meg and keep the boar separate until he is neutered, but that means keeping him on his own for approx 10 weeks, which seems a long while. So I then thought, I would get a sow and do the above, but get two brothers, have them both neutered and then have a happy family of four, after a while.

I am struggling to get a hutch big enough for four though, although have only looked online.

Do you think the above group would work or can you think of a better solution?

Hi

sorry to read about your guinea pig, hes a good age for one but nevertheless its still a very sad time when they start to go downhill. I do try to syringe feed mine, but it all depends on the pig, some love it and some detest it with a passion so best left to individual pig. If you dont want to syringe feed, you could try blitzing some of his normal pellet food down to powder form, add some water to mix to a paste/mush of a consistency that he can eat and put in a dish. He may enjoy that especially if hes got dental issues too. Sometimes when they go off colour, and dont eat much it creates problems with the teeth (overgrowth etc) so when they want to eat they cant. Just try him with the mushed up food and see how he gets on with it.

Re the mites, you can get ivomec that treats the mites quite well, and think you can now buy from pets at home rather than having them injected at vets. Less stressful and painful for the piggie.

When the time comes and hes passed, its worth looking on guineapigrehome.org.uk there are many pigs on there looking for new home and may be local to you. A lot of the rescues on there neuter the males in advance so no waiting.

I have always found a male/female set up is best as sometimes girls can be a bit bossy especially when middle aged. :lol: if you go for a baby she should be ok, just keep careful eye on them at intros. Most adult sows wont see the baby as a thread and will readily accept.

Whatever you decide always let them meet on neutral territory, and let them interact for a bit, with lots of distraction like hay, carrots etc for them. Most times they will get along. Guinea pigs generally like company so usually do accept a new friend or two.

Re getting two boys and then having them neutered later on, that could be trickey as when they reach maturity even though been neutered they will still fight for the girls attention and turn on each other. If you do have two boys you would be best pairing them up with their own harem of girls each. :lol: . One boy to two girls is always a nice number.

Where about are you based ? If you are local to me, our local rescue has lots of young pigs at moment and in fact am fostering 3 for them due to being so full. One of them has just had two babies which are so cute.

Good luck with your choice, and again sorry to read that your elderly pig is waining.

All best

Deb x

thank you for your reply, I thought I would try some mushed up food and warm water, but when I went to get his dish, it was too late :cry::cry: I thought he was already dead, but as I stroked him, he gasped. I sat with him for an hour willing him to go, but in the end I rang the vets, to see whether they thought would be kinder to put him to sleep. They said he would be unconscious and unaware and just to make him comfortable and he would slip away. I have wrapped him in a towel, and made him a bed of straw in his upside down igloo and left him in his hutch, as I thought the smell would be familiar if he is aware of anything.

I feel so sad, he was a fantastic pig, so friendly and outgoing and not at all nervous. I shall miss him loads and so will Meggie.

Will she be alright on her own for a couple of weeks until I get something sorted for us all?

Hi

am so sorry to read that hes taken a turn for the worse, you are doing/have done the right thing to keep him comfortable now in his familiar surroundings while he passes. I have done that with some of my pigs and think its the kindest solution when they get to that unconscious stage. Its not nice waiting for him to go, but less stress for him than having to take him to the vets to be pts, and much more peaceful.

It is so very devastating when they go as have been such a part of your life for a long time. Guinea pigs are such lovely funny creatures and have huge characters for their size. Its never easy when they pass, and even now after all these years and the amount I have had, I cry buckets when I loose one.

Meggie may mourn his passing and become a bit quiet, as they are social creatures. Is she outdoors ? if she is can you bring her inside so she has more company/interaction from you and family until you can find her a friend or two ? It will also be warmer too now she hasnt got a friend to snuggle up too.

Hope you are ok, my thoughts are with you and Meggie. xxx

Thank you for your kind words. I just keep crying so trying to sort myself out before work, as don' think they will understand :(

I can't bring Meg indoors as her hutch is too big, but I will move her into the shed. I have given her loads of hay and put her igloo in at night so she isn't rattling round on her own.

I have made my decision and have phoned rescue to see if they have a neutered boar needing a home. Feels a bit ruthless, but needs must with a lonely guinea. Meggie was Maurices third wife and he always came with me to choose them. She is eating ok.

I did want a couple of babies, but the boy would have to be on his own for so long whilst waiting to be neutered that doesn't feel right, especially through the winter and there are so many in rescue. So will find Meggie a husband as quickly as I can and then in the Spring I am going to have my dream piggie, a baby Abyssinian girl. I had Aby's as a child and I love them. I should be able to introduce her to the other two do you think? A complete guinea family mummy, daddy and baby.

I have emailed a man on ebay who builds lovely hutches and asked for a quote for a 5ft hutch. So that should be big enough for three do you think?