Chicken deficient

Hutch for four

After losing one of our original pair of piggies, we rescued a friend for her (they chose each other out of about 20 others).

New piggie friend turned out to be pregnant! To cut a long story short, we now have four piggies.

Last year's winter accommodation was a four foot hutch in the outhouse with a snugglesafe on cold nights, but this isn't going to be big enough.

Does anyone have a hutch for four that they would recommend? I've been looking at the two storey ones with ramps.

That sounds like a familiar story! The very same happened to me a couple of years ago. A two story hutch might not be suitable because the babys wont be able to get up the ramp so youll have to lift them up of a night. The four foot one might be ok just for the winter because its better for them all to snuggle up. Then you could get a bigger one for the summer. I cant says ive actually seen a hutch much longer than 4ft. One of my fav sites is this one http://www.sprcentre.com/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=285&strPageHistory=cat (the last hutch is exactly the one i kept my original guineas in. It was brill and lasted me over 5 years, so its def recomended!)

I am having the same problem. I have my two girls, Meggie is 3 and Matilda is nearly 8 weeks and I want to rehome a neutered boar in the Spring. My current hutch is 4ft but I am struggling to find a bigger one. I don't want a two storey one, I just want what I've got but bigger. Which one on that site do you have and how many guineas do you keep in it?

Just revisted this as still struggling to find a 5ft hutch. I have my original 4ft and a new 3ft hutch, so my husband has come up with the ingenious idea of linking them via a length of sewer pipe (as it is wider than drain pipe) so I will actually have a 7ft hutch and have now decided to go for two rehomes so will have 4 guineas.

What do you think to this solution?

We sadly went down to 3 pigs shortly after my last post. :( RIP Pigglie.

In the end I got a 4 foot, 2 tiered indoor cage for the winter. I was worried about the ramp, but got a fleece tunnel made for safety reasons. One piece of cucumber bait later and they were racing up and down it!

They seem to love it. Downstairs got half used for sleeping and half for toiletting, but upstairs was kept spotless and used as a restaurant and lounging area.

The ramp / tunnel worked well for extra winter exercise too.

I'd recommend it. No matter what I did the year before with Snugglesafes and insulation, I was always worried they were cold in the hutch in the outhouse. Last winter, in their indoor cage down a cool, unheated corridor seemed to be ideal for them. It was nice having them so close as well.