Gertie Posted November 14, 2010 Share Posted November 14, 2010 Hi Everyone I love most animals & I can definitely appreciate the beauty & grace of the heron. However, being a pond owner means the heron is currently in my bad books! I've just seen one (again) by my pond. I know they need to eat but I'd rather they didn't eat my goldfish. They are nothing fancy, just ordinary goldfish. I inherited them when I moved here last July...and as such that makes me there protector!! Does anyone have any suggestions for heron repelling. So far I have tried a plastic heron which frequently moves about the pond, a shiny silver floating ball, windmills & fishing line criss crossed across the pond but it still keeps coming. I don't want to net the pond incase anything gets stuck in it & drowns. Your advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted November 14, 2010 Share Posted November 14, 2010 What about one of those windsock thingies that people use at caravan sites. You can get them on ebay. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
C&T Posted November 15, 2010 Share Posted November 15, 2010 I think netting is a good thing... I think if a heron knows there are fish, there isn't much that will deter it. Netting will ensure (as much as you can) that it can't get at the fish though. Something black seems to be the most invisible to humans, and so doesn't detract from the garden. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted November 15, 2010 Share Posted November 15, 2010 I think a few of those windsocks below could work, I understand your worries about netting, I think you can use electric netting as so as the heon touches it he'll get a shock. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gertie Posted November 15, 2010 Author Share Posted November 15, 2010 Hi Everyone Thanks for the ideas. I think I will try the wind sock thingies. I know netting would be a good plan but I cannot risk my cats getting tangled in it. Bizarrely enough my cat fell in this very morning (well half of her anyway) which has only happened one time before. She has broken the fishing line which I strung across so now I have another job for the weekend. I've put lots of obstacles around the pond which is supposed to deter the heron from landing, so the pond looks like someone threw a load of rubbish around the edge as I used what was to hand - flower pots, watering can, cafe table etc!!! The fish are quite used to this bother and usually hide deep in the bottom. I don't think he has had any luck so far. If anyone thinks of anything else I would love to know! Beautiful birds but so persistant! Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
CatieB Posted November 16, 2010 Share Posted November 16, 2010 Hello my neighbour had the same problem and tried all the measures that you have mentioned. He now has a radio next to the pond constantly on and tuned to a talk channel so there are voices constantly. He has found it works for him but he lives rurally so won't disturb the neighbours. Good luck Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...