Charlie7 Posted November 21, 2010 Share Posted November 21, 2010 Are barred Wyandottes sex-linked? I have heard that they aren't really sex-linked, but you can see more less what sex they are. Someone else said that they are sex-linked. I'm a little confused. If they are sex-linked, how can you actually see the difference? Also, pictures of Barred Wyandotte chicks will be very much appreciated. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted November 21, 2010 Share Posted November 21, 2010 No they aren't but Redwing does say they are easier to sex at a younger age than some of the other colours. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted November 21, 2010 Share Posted November 21, 2010 As Plum says - barred dottes arent sex linked but I have found them to be easier to sex at a young age than the other patterened dottes Young chick Brred dotte chicks have a light spot on their heads - some people say the head spot size and crispness is a way of sexing barred dottes, I havent personally found this to be an indicator, it does work better on some cuckoo breeds such as Marans though This is the stage at which you'll start to see a difference Its showing more clearly here at a few weeks old, the only female is at the back on the left The differerence is clear here, I am not sure how old these are - probably about 6 weeks, the male is much lighter than the female but to be honest its the head comb and wattles that will tell you before feathers Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlie7 Posted November 21, 2010 Author Share Posted November 21, 2010 Thanks, that explains it. Great pictures, Redwing. Thank you for taking the time to add them, I appreciate it. I'm definitely sure now - it will be barred 'Dotte chicks under a broody when the time comes. It would probably be smarter to have sex-linked chicks, as cockerels are almost impossible to sell in my area, but I can't imagine any other breed in my garden. Wyandottes are the best! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...