beach chick Posted November 24, 2010 Share Posted November 24, 2010 I have an old (12-18mths) sack of 6x chicken manure based compost hidden away behind the garage that never ended up on the garden. I'm sure it's lost any 'goodness' for the beds it would have had, but I have discovered that something has ripped the sack apart - I suspect the dog, who is not allowed out off the lead now for a week, given his recent christmas pudding stealing exploits. could I use this in the dustbath for the girls do you think? I know people use compost, earth etc, and am trying to think of a good reason why not.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
C&T Posted November 25, 2010 Share Posted November 25, 2010 Hope Ozzie is fully recovered now! re using the compost as a dustbath - I don't know - something makes me say I probably wouldn't - but I don't have any reason for saying that. I guess there is a risk of bugs and nasties in the compost you wouldn't want the chickens rolling about in??? Not sure... I would say though that it is probably still very good compost for the garden - unlikely to have lost all the nutrients etc I'ld of thought. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
JanTheDiver Posted November 25, 2010 Share Posted November 25, 2010 I personally wouldn't use it in the dust bath as it has chicken manure in it, I know they tred in their own all the time , but you don't know where the chicken manure in the bag has come from. As to using it on the garden, it will still have some nutrients so I would use it on your beds, better than wasting it. Hope this helps Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted November 25, 2010 Author Share Posted November 25, 2010 mmm, I think you are both probably right, I will have to chuck it somewhere the evil hound cant get it!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...