iggyigster Posted November 29, 2010 Share Posted November 29, 2010 My otherwise mild mannered hens, Vorwek and Barnavelder, have now shown their true colours and turned into nasty little raptors. I brought home and introduced our new Cream Legbar last night and all hell broke loose they chase her around pecking her and jumping in with their claws. I had to sit their in the cold on riot duty splitting them up. This morning let them out and it all started again. Had to come to work so seperated the new one into the run by herself but the other two stand at the fence shouting, no doubt, obsecities at her. What's the best way of getting over this pecking order trouble? I really dont think she last it if I just let them sort themselves out and no doubt fight it out. It's like being a lion tamer! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
poppers77 Posted November 29, 2010 Share Posted November 29, 2010 Not sure of your situation but i know there is a lot of advice on this forum under 'introductions' which suggest slow and sure. We had to introduce new hens each time it became aparent our chicks were fellas and we don't have 2 runs to accomodate the side by side thing. So we left existing ones FR in garden and new girls in integral run under the house . Eventually brought them together and all was fine as they had anough room to get out of each others way. Final hen was a bit of a challenge and is still quite agressive at times ( one of ours has been separated to break her broodiness & got a bit of a chase when she rejoined the others - all fine after a couple of circuits around the garden!) I would keeep them separate during the day and put new girl in once others are in bed so they sleep together. Sit near to see if they settle and then separate again when they get let out in the morning. kepp on like this until you are home to keep watch and try them for an hr together with a water gun handy. As i say plenty of more detailed advice from people much more experienced than I ! Good luck, L Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted November 29, 2010 Share Posted November 29, 2010 Please take a look in the FAQs - there is lots of advice hereon how to introduce a new hen. Take it slowly, you may have to go back to the beginning and start the process again. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kevf1 Posted November 29, 2010 Share Posted November 29, 2010 the place i take my two hens too when i go away has many other chickens last time a few weeks ago the lady said i'll put them in the enclosure as the run is to muddy... its quite a big enclosure that has lots of chickens in it... she does sell them on.. as soon as she put them in there.. bertha my big one had a ago at a big rhode island (i think) 1 minute of shout at each other bertha backed off and went and ate some food.. all sorted done and dusted.. they were happy for the week.. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Roobaloo Posted November 29, 2010 Share Posted November 29, 2010 I agree with the other replies...slow and steady, especially introducing one new hen to two established ones. I've just introduced two to two....kept the new ones separate to settle then they all get used to hearing and seeing each other....and then I used the "divid and conquer" method...and removed the dominant hen from the situation, so the new ones could settle with the remainder....when they're fine, top hen goes back in...and even if she still kicks off...she can't attack both at once, so it's not a constant attack - which is the problem with introducing one to two...they can take it in turns to harass her all day or they can both go at her and corner her. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
txswanie Posted November 30, 2010 Share Posted November 30, 2010 I've just introduced 2 newbies to 4 originals and its been a bit of a nightmare 2 days. Previously mild mannered GRs turned into horrible little beasts and the "boss" Marion Davies sat back and watched them. One of the newbies is a reasonably big easter egger but the other is a 4 month old Polish who is pretty small. The 2 new girls have formed a trauma support group on the roof of the cube (I think its a rooftop protest, as Governor I may be called in to mediate) I had to put a dish of food and water up there for them as the little monsters wouldn't let them near the food. They spent all day up there and I had to lift them into the coop at night. All is blissfully peaceful at night and a battle zone in the day. I don't have great quarantine quarters so had to do the instant introduction. Mostly that involved me sitting in the run all day squirting the bullies with a water pistol..result, very annoyed chickens and freezing fingers for me. I am hoping that things will settle down ( I have to leave the house at some point...although supermarkets do deliver these days, lol) I think if I can avoid bloodshed and the new girls get a turn at the food I will be happy. Good luck to everyone with introductions. Colette. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
iggyigster Posted November 30, 2010 Author Share Posted November 30, 2010 thanks everyone. splitting them up but in view of each other seems to be working. They sit next to each other either side of the fence and the newbie's started pacing up and down wanting out rather than hiding away. If the other two wander away there's a shout from the newbie and they trot back to her. There was still the odd peck as they came out the house this morning though. Might put the head hen in solitary tomorrow so the other two can try it out together, although she wont be happy! Blimey, I'm a 41 year old man and they're just chickens! I dont even fuss over my kids this much! Get this sorted than back to the war on rats! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kevf1 Posted November 30, 2010 Share Posted November 30, 2010 there will always be the odd peck the young will try it on the older ones will bring em back in line.. the strigest will eventually win and the weaker will give in... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
iggyigster Posted December 3, 2010 Author Share Posted December 3, 2010 all done. 4 days of ever decreasing violance and now best of friends. phew! I wonder if it's like child birth. Whilst going through it you promise never to have anymore but then time passes and you forget and start thinking about another?! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted December 3, 2010 Share Posted December 3, 2010 Well done and sometimes it can work really well doing it the quick way and guess as you say you watch out for any blood. Had mine just over a week and I've been doing it the slow way because the orp is only 15 weeks. I moved them up to conservatory because of the cold weather with the new babies in a tiny temporary run, turned my back and all six were in the little run All was fine but shame I didn't trust them to grab my camera. Seperated now but I'm encouraged by the incident . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...