Old Speckled Hen

Happy New Year

Well done, I'm dying to know if my bees survived the recent very cold spell, but not ready to do the oxalic acid treatment yet - a fellow beekeeper is going to let me have some. Glad to hear yours are ok so far.

Incidentally one of our group has already had some serious woodpecker damage on a hive at an out-apiary - if any of you have hives in locations where this might happen, get some chicken wire on them. Not only will they kill your bees, either directly or through letting the cold in, they will do a lot of damage to your expensive hives.

I'm dying to know if my bees survived the recent very cold spell

I'm dreadful. I go up and put my ear to the boxes every day :roll::roll: It's lovely to hear them.

I have fondant on but there is a trail of cappings under each of them so I knew they were alive

I had the trays in when it was very cold but it has been relatively mild the last week and it was wonderful to see them out and about going for a poo,fetching water and throwing out their dead.

Trays are back in (leaving a little gap for ventilation) just to do a mite count after treatment

I'm sure, Olly yours will be OK

It was about 3˚ when I did mine having lost an earlier 7˚ opportunity.

My DH was my assistant, I was armed with two Trickle Twos from Thornes (and I was glad I had two as there were more seams of bees than I anticipated) and the whole thing took less than 30 seconds per hive.

I was getting a little twitchy as I have no previous experience or knowledge of when brood appears up here. Once there is a patch of brood you've had it as all the little beggars are safe under the cappings....... I might be wrong here but it seems sense to me that it would be just the event the varroa on the bees are waiting for.