Old Speckled Hen

What are your bees foraging on?

It's a beautiful sunny day and 12˚. There are so many bees in the air it could be spring :D

Mine are bringing in bright yellow and greyish pollen. Snowdrop and Hazel?

Absolutely wonderful to see after a winter that has been with us since the beginning of November.

I've just sat in front of the hives with a cup of tea and bees buzzing all round me. Lovely!

Chooks followed me out with the hens picking off dead bees from the floor and the cockerel clucking alarmingly some feet away.....Wuss!!

Cold snap next week though :(

I was delighted to see our bees out on Saturday too - very busy bringing back pollen / nectar. We have a few large hazel trees in our garden and there were many bees visiting the catkins there. It was shortlived though as Sunday was just atrocious! :( Still, Spring is just around the corner - not long now and we are looking forward to getting a nucleus for our second hive at the end of April - Can't wait!! :D

Its been a bit sunny this morning so I decided to do a garden audit :D Firstly very pleased and slightly surprised to see 3 colonies out and about and flying (one is small, and periodically it doesn't answer when I knock so I think its dead, added to which the entrance block had fallen out whilst we were away for a few days so OH has had to fashion a temporary wedging device using a feather!) I can't work out where they are all going and the only plant in my garden which is full of bees is a large heather. Interestingly they are all over the white one and leaving the pink one alone - although the flowers look equally 'out' to me. The pollen is a pale delicate primrose yellowy/cream. There are a couple on the viburnum bushes and I keep finding bees investigating my rough grass patches and small trees but to no avail as far as I can see. They are completely uninterested in the camellia (bit overbred and too double probably) and my bulbs aren't out yet, although the horrid forsythia is nearly ready. There are masses of 'candles' on various laurel hedges so I expect them to attract interest when they do come out. I also saw 3 big bumbles and a green woodpecker - fortunately not near the hives but foraging on the ground. Normally he lives up a telegraph pole!

Much colder here and only saw them flying aound midday on Thursday and Friday. There is snowdrop, crocus and a single primrose out in our garden. However, catkins are a good source of pollen. Didn't fancy bothering the girls to find out what they were actually carrying.