Flo

Digging!

Hi

I have had my chickens for almost two weeks now and absolutely love it. Have already had one trip to the vet (my ginger Lucy has bumblefoot!) but other than that they are doing really well. Mabel the miss pepperpot is an amazing digger, I had no idea! We let them out into the garden over the weekend and she dug a 6inch hole and had a good old dust (well mud with the rain) bath and seemed very content. I have also had to fence off all my veg, but they look so content I really don’t mind! Does anyone else have diggers?

Flo

Hi Flo

Reading your message made me smile, I will have had my girls three weeks on friday! I worry a bit about Ruby as she is so sweet and friendly and loves cuddles. Unfortunately she had a rather grubby back end! Have emailed Barbara about this and taken her advice. Hopefully all will be well soon.

Primrose on the other hand is rather haughty and would rather be left alone. I have just been out to check them and give them some corn (now more popular than cucumber - which was last weeks favourite!) only to find Primrose having a dust or as you say 'mud' bath. Glad to hear you are so happy - they are great fun.

Also, have to mention that Primrose squatted for the first time today when I approached - apparently a sign she may be coming into lay, so excited! P.S. What is bumble foot?

Hi Stephi

Bumblefoot is a little blister like infection on the foot that happenes when a small knick or cut gets some dirt in it. The vet seemed to think that a course of antibiotics should clear it up, but if she limps too much she may get it on the other foot too! Ah the worries!

Our girls have very different personalities too. I think Mabel will enjoy helping me with the gardening, she was very curious about the plants I potted up at the weekend.

I have now managed to pick up both of my girls, Lucy was no problem but Mabel was a bit frisky, which didn't go well with my bird fear. One week on and I'm much more confident!

Exciting about your potential egg, I can't wait until ours start to lay...

Good to hear you are enjoying your chooks - they are great fun aren't they? :lol:

Mine are tremendous diggers. I've never had anything try to dig into the run, but the girls created a tunnel right underneath the skirt of the run from the inside! :shock: Good job the log roll surround goes right to the edge of the bark chipped area otherwise they would have been away! :?