muzzboy Posted March 17, 2011 Share Posted March 17, 2011 Hi my 4 hens have access to laying pellets all day and the freedom of the garden to pick from so I was just wondering how much and how often can I give them mixed corn and is it good for them have heard mix reports about it and think the bag could last a while as its huge thanks for your help as I am learning everyday off omlet Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted March 18, 2011 Share Posted March 18, 2011 My 4 get a handful or 2 perhaps once a week. I give it as a treat rather than a part of their 'diet', Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted March 18, 2011 Share Posted March 18, 2011 Unless it's in the depths of winter, I buy poultry wheat rather than what's sold as "mixed corn" as it's less fattening for them. Mine get a little every evening, mainly so they're trained to pay attention and go where the wheat goes - it's a really useful way of rounding them up and shutting them in their run if I need to. The come running whenever the hear the "corn tin" Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickybaby Posted March 18, 2011 Share Posted March 18, 2011 Mine have a small bowlful every day, about 4 handfuls, and that's between 6 chickens. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lavenders_Blue Posted March 18, 2011 Share Posted March 18, 2011 I give a couple of handfuls between 4 hens occasionally as a treat, or when I need to herd them somewhere. Like Jools, I give them poultry wheat, but only because mine don't actually like corn! (Possibly the world's only corn hating hens?!) Unless you are mixing your own feed for your hens, then mixed corn doesn't actually form a useful part of the diet, it's just a treat so don't go overboard with it. I think about 1 eggcupful per hen is the suggested amount. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mr Rhode Island Red Posted March 18, 2011 Share Posted March 18, 2011 I mix it 50-50 with the layer's pellets Maybe that's too much................no, it IS too much Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...