enpekt Posted March 31, 2011 Share Posted March 31, 2011 Fizz is on 11 eggs in an eglu and 3 or 4 have hatched over yesterday and today.Throughout her brooding I have lifted her a few times a day to go to the loo and stretch her legs, Since the chicks stated to hatch I have not lifted her, but since we are coming into the 3rd day I am worried that she has not been to the loo. She only eats when I feed her bits on the nest, I have put a saucer of chick crumb and water near the door but she is not using it, so I am worried that the chicks are not eating as well. Should I lift her off, or what should I do. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted March 31, 2011 Share Posted March 31, 2011 Chances are she wont want to leave the nest until all of the eggs have hatched Do you have a candler to check the progress of the eggs? I'd be tempted to leave her till tomorrow (feed her some soaked corn on her nest so she gets some food and water) then whip the eggs out from under her for a candle, if they havent made it to the end you can then remove them so she can get on with raising the chicks, if they show signs of life tuck them back under her and leave her be (still feed the corn) The corn helps her poop be more solid so she wont make a heck of a mess of the nest The chicks should start to stray from her a bit and explore, put a bit of paper down and drop some chick crumb on it and they should come to investigate and peck at it, you can also gently lift a chick and dip their beak in the water to encourage them to drink but chances are they will find the food and water in their own time anyway A chick can survive a couple of days easily after hatch without food as their initial nutritional needs come from the egg yolk that they absorbed before hatch Good luck with it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted March 31, 2011 Share Posted March 31, 2011 What day did they pip/hatch on? I have 6 under a broody in the shed, day 21 and no sign of pipping yet. I have candled and at least 4 are fertile but can't tell with the other 2. I have read it can longer at this time of year and to leave until day 24 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted March 31, 2011 Share Posted March 31, 2011 Whether eggs are under a broody or in an incubator its always sensible to wait till around day 24 before really worrying Fingers crossed for you! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted March 31, 2011 Share Posted March 31, 2011 Thank you, maybe I'll even get a girl Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
enpekt Posted April 2, 2011 Author Share Posted April 2, 2011 Sorry for the delay in replying. And thanks for the encouragement! It was Peckybeak who started the topic as her PC is playing up. She tried to reply, but was timed-out for some reason and was so tired she went to bed and crashed. (It was after 0100). Of 11 eggs, seven have hatched, and are approaching 48 hours old. Two Barnevelders, two Cream Legbars and three Barnebars. We'd be really grateful for identification and sexing of these, as shown on this Aren't they cute? NB. The reason for our tardiness is that in our main flock we have a major outbreak of Infectious Bronchitis. We're having to syringe treated water into them by mouth, control their segregation, treat bubbly eyes, feed them any treats they'll eat, amounting to twenty hour days. We've lost two and several others may be touch and go... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...