chicken bark Posted April 2, 2011 Share Posted April 2, 2011 (edited) Today is day 10 of my first eggs in the incubator. To say I am nervous/excited is an understatement. I'm desperate for this evening to come so it will be nice and dark when I do it. Will they be fertile? Will they have survived the post? Have my incubator settings been okay? Will I know what I am looking for (plan to candle a non fertile egg to compare)? Will I be brave enough to remove the 'clears' just in case I'm wrong? Will I be brave enough to crack open the clears to find out if they were ever fertile and just haven't developed? I've already filed my nails down so I can't bite them. Edited April 2, 2011 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
meezers Posted April 2, 2011 Share Posted April 2, 2011 that was me last year. ( and I didn't remove the clears until I'd candled a 2nd time - just incase ) I wondered how on earth I'd managed to endure two pregnancies - those 21 days just took tooo looong Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tweety Posted April 2, 2011 Share Posted April 2, 2011 I candled my eggs for the first time yesterday, and it was amazing. My biggest worry was that I wouldn't be able to tell which ones were clear and which were ok, but in fact it was very obvious. I removed the clear ones but didn't open them. I now have 9 out of the original 14 in the incy, with hatching due next Saturday! Can't wait! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted April 2, 2011 Share Posted April 2, 2011 I've already filed my nails down so I can't bite them. et us know how you get on, its so facinating to see the egg developing Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted April 2, 2011 Author Share Posted April 2, 2011 Okay so I've done it and some of them I am certain are fertile , others I am confused about as they looked just like an egg yolk but couldn't see anything else. So I think all my Faverolles are clears. Four of my Dottes are good and all the Pekins. Will candle again in a few days in an attempt to catch any dodgy ones before they explode. If the Faverolles eggs are the same I will take them out. Anyone got any fingernails I can nibble on? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...