eggmayo Posted April 2, 2011 Share Posted April 2, 2011 My amazing ex-battery hen Nutmeg has just passed away. She was such a gentle, intelligent hen,a real character who used to love following me round the garden chatting happily away to me. She even followed me into the kitchen a couple of times when I forgot to shut the back door. She was with us for 2 years 2 months, making her between 3 years 2 months and 3 years 8 months. I guess this isn't bad going for an ex-bat. She will be greatly missed. This leaves me with a dilema. We're now down to a single ex-bat, Chickpea and obviously I don't want her to be on her own. I'd like to get some more ex-bats, but the next local rehoming isn't for another 5 weeks. Is this too long for Chickpea to be by herself? She's always been the most nervous of our hens. I don't want to try to rehome her, as she's over 3, so is getting on a bit and is such a lovey character. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted April 2, 2011 Share Posted April 2, 2011 Very sorry to hear about Nutmeg . She sounds like she was a real character and obviously had a lovely life with you . I think 5 weeks would probably be OK for Chickpea to be on her own. You could make an extra fuss of her so she doesn't feel lonely . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
poppy ben grace Posted April 2, 2011 Share Posted April 2, 2011 So sorry for your little Nutmeg. She sounds like she has had a wonderful life with you after such a bad start as a battery hen. What a difficult decision but as aint "Ooops, word censored!"ody said i think Chickpea should cope on here own for a while with a bit of extra TLC. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted April 2, 2011 Share Posted April 2, 2011 Sorry to hear about Nutmeg. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...