fluffy chick

How relaxed should I be about free ranging?

Migsy I'm really sorry about your chicken. It sounds to me like she was out when the fox got hold of her, she managed to get away and flew back over the fence. You'd be surprised what seems impossible is possible with adrenaline. :( It must be awful for your little ones too. I'm sure she had a lovely life with you guys though.

I have bought an energiser for my fence now and will be sending OH out to get it sorted today hopefully! I have a old stone pig sty next to my fencing so will move it further away after what you've said.

Thanks guys. I feel so bad about it. There were no feathers inside the fenced area so yes, perhaps she was out and the adrenaline helped her back. She was obviously a real fighter. The vet said that it would have been a very complicated and lengthy procedure to try to fix her injuries and it would have caused suffering.

My boys seem OK but unfortunately I had to pile them in the car with me to take them to the vets and my youngest, who is 5, had to come into the consultation room with me as I could not leave him unattended in the waiting room. He was upset last night and said that he had said a prayer for her. Bless him!

I'm just so worried about the others now. They have been enclosed in the fence all day even though I have been at home. I have got some mealworms for them today from Aldi so that I can easily get them back in area after some limited free ranging. I don't know why I feel bad about them being in the fenced area. It is a 25m fence, so there is a lot more space than there would be in most runs. They just look a bit bored in there as they love wondering around the garden.