fluffy chick

How relaxed should I be about free ranging?

I am lucky to have a big garden and would love to let my bantams FR. We have sectioned bits of the garden off for them in the past but, to be honest I was fed up of my garden looking like crystal maze meets steptoe and son :lol: so bought some omlet electric fencing for them. Trouble is I can't afford to electrify it yet and the bantys run straight through the holes in it :roll: My garden backs onto the wolds which is fine but is also pretty open to next doors garden too. If I let the chooks out I'm pretty sure they would end up next door eventually. So they haven't been allowed of their run for ages.

In my village lots of people keep chickens. They are so relaxed about letting their chickens out, to the point where I go and stroke one lot on my way to the shop because they are fr ing in the front garden and walk along the wall. :shock: They are beautiful silkies and clearly happy. These chickens (and other peoples in the village) could easily walk into the road but they don't seem to and the owners clearly don't seem worried. In a way I wish I was more relaxed about it all rather than fretting.

Must admit that the foxes thread put me off.

There is a school of thought that says it is worth the risk and let them roam, at least if something dreadful does happen they have had a free life, I do agree with that, but know I am not quite ready to take that step and the responsibility. I know it is a little selfish but I would be devastated!

I was paranoid about my girls free ranging at first even if I was in the office as home. This year I feel more prepared, I know the garden is completely secure, the pond is covered and they can get into the shrub borders to scratch around but my raised flower Borders have small trellis to keep them out.

Sooo now I am trying to be more relaxed and I let them out at 11.30 every morning (and they know it) with the back door open and the dogs pottering around. If they really started bokking I can hear from the office, I know it's a slight risk but also don't feel its fair for them to be shut in when I am at home and it's a good excuse to get out of the office to see how they are!

thanks for your thoughts.....

It just seems I am the only person round here that uses a run! I'm constantly amazed at how their chickens stay in their garden because there is nothing to stop them wandering into the road. Don't get me wrong it's only a lane not exactly the M1 but still :?

I can stop mine getting into the road easy enough but at the minute they can get into next door. I would hate to bother next door esp as their lawn is perfect green. But if I had some mind reading chooks like my neighbours they would know where my garden ends :lol:

To be honest, if I were in your situation and all the neighbours' chooks FR all day, I'd probably do the same. I'm guessing your next door neighbours don't have chooks though which is why you're worried about yours going into their garden? This makes things a bit different of course.

My girls FR in my garden all day, but they can't get out (well not any more, since I upped the defences!). Next door have chooks, but also a Jack Russell so I wouldn't want my girls getting into their garden as they may not come back :shock::lol:

I don't think it's fair on your neighbours if your chooks free-range into their garden tbh, not everyone appreciates their activities. If you can stop them from getting through, then I'd definitely let them out to forage in your garden - the risks must be low in your village, otherwise there wouldn't be all those free-ranging chickens. :)

I have a three acre field and would love to see the chooks free ranging but cant get over the fox fear so all of my pens are wired above and below and chooks kept in unless we are at the field for some hours in which case selected ones are allowed out

As long as the run is big enough you dont have to feel guilty

The average bantam shouldnt be able to walk through the netting, check you dont have it upside down as there are small holes and bigger ones, the small ones and the black strand should be at the bottom

I'm guessing your next door neighbours don't have chooks though which is why you're worried about yours going into their garden? This makes things a bit different of course.

Yes that's right, my immediate neighbours don't keep any animals and I wouldn't want to upset them (although they like the free eggs I give them :lol: )

What a lovely village it must be with all the chickens :)

It is lovely, only thing is I want to put one under my arm on my way home :whistle: The house at the end of my lane has a dozen black orpingtons which I like to eye up on my way past! And a huge cockerel! Another house has some teeny tiny chickens are they Seramas? :oops: which are lovely too.

The average bantam shouldnt be able to walk through the netting, check you dont have it upside down as there are small holes and bigger ones, the small ones and the black strand should be at the bottom

It's not upside down, it came with some poles in ready and the small holes are at the bottom. Not all my banties have got through it but 2 of my new ones have, they are young and smaller. I'm hoping once they've filled out a bit they won't fit through!

I think I'm going to have to make some efforts to stop the chickens from getting into next door if nothing else. The fox threat doesn't worry me, only cos I wouldn't let them out if I wasn't in.

I'm the same- I've had my girls for two weeks now and I'm still too nervous to let them out. Mainly because one escaped when we first bought her home and hopped it into next doors garden (my poor mum had to climb up the trellis to retrieve her! :oops: )

I would only let my girls out if I was there as I have seen what foxy loxy did to our neighbours chickens but I'm still waiting to chicken proof our hedges...

I totally understand how nervy it is, I feel like a mother that needs to cut the apron strings a bit! I feel so responsible for them.... :roll:

Good luck!

The fox threat doesn't worry me, only cos I wouldn't let them out if I wasn't in.

Just to say, being in and around may not be enough to deter a hungry fox :( My girls only free range when I am actually in the garden with them

You're quite right. I do tend to leave the doors open and the dog in the garden but it is a worry. The fields behind me are full of pheasants and rabbits so I hope :pray: a fox could find easier food iykwim.

Not an easy one this! We have become much more relaxed about allowing the girls to fr. At first we would only let them out if we were patrolling the garden; then when we were in the kitchen with the door open; then in the house with the window open; then moved to popping to the shops for an hour and now we go the whole hog and leave them out all day whatever. The garden is secure, they can't get into the neighbours' or onto a road and I'm pretty sure that a fox can't get over the fence. From what I've read of fox attacks, in most cases it's over pretty quickly so my logic is that I'd rather the girls had fabulous days fr with a tiny threat of getting their lives cut short quickly rather than keeping them penned up all day. And considering my other post about Baked aka Hilts, them being penned up is NOT an option at the moment!

Appreciate that this might not be everyone's choice ... please don't beat me to a pulp if you don't agree!

oh penquin I had a pal that simply would not believe it might happen,,,,, :( you guessed it it did :cry: now she is like a reformed smoker.

She returned home to the carnage and it Haunts her, most especially her blind girl, depends how may you have as to how quick it may or may nor be and then how traumatized any survivor might be.

You also have to consider how upset you will be....

My pal was devastated

Some people seem to be more matter of fact about it than others...

Ow woman at the vets the other week was asking me about how to treat scaley leg mite, then said What I really need is another visit from the fox then I can disinfect the whole lot and start again!!!

Not sure if she feels the same way about her dogs or not, luckily the vet called me in just then.

It is a tricky one. I have a 25m electric fence which the chickens are kept within from just before dusk until I let them out the next day. However, they are just so much happier free ranging around the garden that I feel very guilty confining them to the small muddy area that is protected. I know I will be upset if they get taken by a fox but they have such a wonderfully natural and happy life. They are mad for foraging and dustbathing in the best sunny spots and I get so much more pleasure seeing them having such a fun time. I live in an urban area but very near some open countryside/nature reserve so I am hoping that the foxes might find their dinner elsewhere. :|

Foxes can jump as easily as a cat though so don't be lulled into thinking that an enclosed garden is safe. :shock:

. I live in an urban area but very near some open countryside/nature reserve so I am hoping that the foxes might find their dinner elsewhere.

So do we...we are right on the edge of Pagham Harbour Nature Reserve....unfortunately I have lost three girls to the fox. Easiest way to know if you have a fox problem in your area is to have a look around on bin day....We always put our rubbish out in bins, but can only assume those people who only persist in putting bags out must like picking up rubbish from their driveways and verges on a Friday morning!! (better than Baboons though...did you see that programme last night with Bill Bailey? Sorry I digress) It seems to me that actually if you live in a completely rural area you are at less risk from the fox,(at least during the day time) because they are that much morse wary of being around people.

Foxes can jump as easily as a cat though so don't be lulled into thinking that an enclosed garden is safe. :shock:

Totally agree....when we last saw a fox in our garden and chased it, it made it's get away by leaping up eight foot onto our shed roof.... If you have wobbly fences, you might be a bit safer, but a wooden fence is certainly no obstacle to a determined fox...

I'd save as hard as you can for the electric fencing. Its not entirely foxproof but in my and my neighbours' experience its the best deterrant there is. They have both lost stock to the fox, but since using the netting all has been well. I have small poland bantams and they routinely escape from the netting - I have to electrify it to keep them in :lol: I let my big girls FR most days as I am at home, but a few years ago I did see a young fox in the garden in broad daylight with me in the garden so I know its a risk. I live in a rural area and most of the time the foxes are nocturnal so I tend to be ultra vigilant early in the day and from dusk onward.

I'd save as hard as you can for the electric fencing.

I think I'm going to take the plunge! Thanks for all your opinions. One day I will aim to have all my garden chicken wired so they can fr while I'm home (if only to keep them out of the neighbours garden!) but going to order an energiser I think!

Update on my earlier post - one of my hens was killed by a fox today. She was in the electric fence area when I found her. Having seen the injuries I'm not going to let them FR anymore. I think the fence was too close to a shed and I suspect that the fox jumped off the shed into the fenced area. I have moved it away from the shed now. However, there is a possibility that she had escaped from the fenced area when she was attacked. I'm confused as all the feathers were well away from the fenced area. I don't know how she would have got back in - perhaps she was able to fly back but I didn't think that she would have been able to do that. She could get out by jumping onto the shelter and then out above the fence but there was no such "step-up" to get back in. :? My poor kids saw the injuries - I had to have her PTS. I am really upset by it. :(

sorry to hear that migsy, poor you, poor kids and poor girl.

I would agree that electric fencing is the best option - yes it's not entirely fox-proof, but it is better than all the alternatives imo. I wouldnt be happy with keeping them in all the time in the WIR, but that's just me. We have lost girls even with the electric fence (maybe the battery was low, maybe I forgot to switch it on, maybe maybe maybe) and it is very upsetting, but I think quality of life is what matters in the long run, and for my lot that includes FRing from 7.30am ish til dusk.

sorry, edited to say: if I was starting all over again, I 'might' have less girls and just keep them in the WIR, but I dont think so...