Heidi-Hi

My pigs won't touch fresh food

Hi all,

Still new to GP's, only got them end of March. I got them from a friend who's GP's had babies. They were born in November last year. None of them will touch fresh food. I have tried everything I can think of. I know it is important for them. Any ideas how I can entice them?

Weird! :) but theyre happily eating their dried food? What kind of fruit/veg are you giving them? Guinea pigs can be quite fussy so sometimes you need to try out a few things to find out what they like :)

Hope this helps

Hi Jam,

I've tried apple, carrot, curly kale, celery, cucumber, savoy cabage, and mixed greens. I have since found that they will eat long grass I pick in the garden, but that is it. They are currently on Gerty Guinea Pig food, but I am changing them over to Garvo guinea pig food soon.

That is weird, Ive never heard of a guinea pig to turn its nose up at greens! As far as health is concerned there shouldnt be any problems. The dried food will provide all the nutrients the pigs need along with the grass, so you shouldnt worry that your piggies arent getting what they need :)

Hope this helps

hi, I'm new to this part of the forum but I've kept gps for a few years now.

My first 2 piggies were quite fussy - not as fussy as yours though Heidi-hi! try peppers (not the chilli sort!),

honeydew melon,cabbage - mine dont like savoy, but like sweetheart (I give them

the dark green leaves that we dont eat) whole corn cobbs, or mini corn,

then there's always safe garden weeds. When my piggies were small I made them

a daily "salad" on a little dish, all chopped into little chunks - (now I just chuck it in anyold how! :) )