Martin B

Bees not going in to super

Well, I'm officially a beekeeper again.

But I'm a tad worried because the bees have not gone in to the super at all and every time I open the hive the queen excluder is literally covered in lots and lots of wild comb and wax.

Why are they not going in to the super? There are 3 brood frames with honey in, but they don't seem to be interested in moving upstairs.

Am I doing something wrong?

Martin

take out the queen excluder, just for a few days until they are drawing the comb.. if you catch it before the cells are big enough to lay in the queen won't have a chance... if you miss and she does lay a few eggs worry not, just don't remove those frames until the bees have emerged.

is it a newish plastic excluder from thornes? i think they are orange (not sure didnt get one) they have been recalled as the holes were too small, post it back to thornes and they will replace it.

or put a super frame in at the outside of the frames, allow them to build and fill it with honey (they may build a little wild comb honney or drone brood under it too) then take it out, cutt off the bit outside of the frame and put the frame itself, with the bees on it in the super trying to get position as close to centre of the brood as you can.

they should work it out and do the rest.

best of luck

I'm working tomorrow Lesley. Thanks for reminding me though. That is one of the major problems with working at weekends, most important things are held when I'm at work.. :(

Thanks for your advice fiddle. It is a QE from Thornes but it is not a plastic one. I am a little bit dubious about the size of the gaps though.. I saw one bee stuck in it the other day come to think of it. I just thought he was a one off. I will investigate tomorrow evening.

Thankyou both!

Martin :)

Excluder out for two days.

I presume the super has foundation in it. Freshen it up, even if it's new. Take your blow torch (usually done with a hairdryer but I presume you don't have power out there) out with you and very quickly just play it over the wax. Or you could spray a little sugar solution (concentration not important) with a drop of lemongrass oil.

Have you still got insulation in the top? It's a good idea to have some, keeps the hive warm and cool. If the weather has taken a cold turn...like here in Cumbria...put the inspection floor in.

Take your hive tool and bruise the cappings on the stores in the brood box,d on't expose the honey entirely,just enough to squash the wax onto the honey so that the wax darkens.

If you have any drawn comb, unfilled , in the brood box then move it next to the brood.

let us know how you get on.